Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby MidnightSummer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:34 am

MidnightSummer

Subject title: Fanart Critique

So it's been awhile since my last post. I just really got back into Art within the last 2 months till now trying to improve as much as I can. Trying to incorporate what I have learned so far and putting it to test. I've also started diving into background drawing and not just drawing people. I am actually having fun with it and it really brings more life into the drawings with having at least a background in mind.

For this piece, I really tried to keep in mind proportion and perspective especially with the background. The initial background that I did used to be much farther having the entrance of the food place slightly more pushed to the back. It felt really off for me and I realized that the people are much closer and the horizon line is more on the bottom first 1/4 of the whole piece. I think before I had my horizon line way up and I was basing things on it.

What I really believe that would make the piece probably more realistic is to really play with lighting scenarios and maybe add more shadows where it's necessary. I think if I would have to guess what I currently have for lighting is a front one. I think before I had a dual lighting in mind where there was also back lighting involved coming from the outside. I just didn't know how to start with it. I can probably render when I have a solid information.

I think the most difficult thing that I have done with the piece is the guy on the right's hand. I've never done such hand position before. I constantly had to observe my own hand in front of the mirror and try to understand the perspective of it. What is being hidden, what is being shown. How long the fingers should be. How the palm is tilted. How to render it so it looks like a hand.

The most that I had a fun of doing is probably the food. I've never drawn food before too and for the most part, I've looked through references, but trying to not directly copy it, but to make my own version of it. You can probably tell I just duplicated the cups, but in terms of making it look like a cup, I think it's alright.

I would really appreciate it if you guys can give me any ideas as to maybe how can I transform or tweak this piece. Thank you very much! :)
Jake and Dwight112PicMonkey.jpg

Postby bosinpai » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm

bosinpai

(answering your private message here since it may interest other forum lurkers)

Glad my critique helped you ^^

- make the ceiling much less visible: that sounds like a good idea, I did a quick test with a few brush strokes (I encourage you to do too ;)) - the room feels higher.

- value range: what do you mean by "the 7nth or 8th value from the gray scale"? :) Anyway I believe grey-ing the background may make it duller, I seem to get better results when changing the right character's shirt instead (either lighter or darker).
The yellow on the walls feels strong to me, even if it isn't really (or so says the color picker); I tried changing the hue but nothing really satisfies me, I don't know what to do here.

- hand size: you're right about the length of hand being roughly the length from chin to brow (or chin to hairline) - but when the hand is extended. In this case your hand is flexed so it needs to be shorter, it's not a matter of width IMHO.

- hand position: hmm, forget what I said, I confused myself when trying to reproduce the hand position in front of a mirror :roll:

Postby MidnightSummer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 am

MidnightSummer

bosinpai wrote:(answering your private message here since it may interest other forum lurkers)

Glad my critique helped you ^^

- make the ceiling much less visible: that sounds like a good idea, I did a quick test with a few brush strokes (I encourage you to do too ;)) - the room feels higher.

- value range: what do you mean by "the 7nth or 8th value from the gray scale"? :) Anyway I believe grey-ing the background may make it duller, I seem to get better results when changing the right character's shirt instead (either lighter or darker).
The yellow on the walls feels strong to me, even if it isn't really (or so says the color picker); I tried changing the hue but nothing really satisfies me, I don't know what to do here.

- hand size: you're right about the length of hand being roughly the length from chin to brow (or chin to hairline) - but when the hand is extended. In this case your hand is flexed so it needs to be shorter, it's not a matter of width IMHO.

- hand position: hmm, forget what I said, I confused myself when trying to reproduce the hand position in front of a mirror :roll:

So I have made some adjustments to the background, left guy's head, right guy's hand size as well as decreased ceiling size. Bonus addition is the glasses.

Are there still some areas that I need to work on? And are there adjustments that didn't quite hit it? Thank you very much!
Jake and Dwight134RemasteredResized.jpg

Return to Critique This!