Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 pm

godsi

Subject title: girl with pigtails (portrait)

Hello again, I took a long break away from digital art for a while to hone my traditional skills (and to do some overall studying) and today I used my morning to relax and paint this portrait. I didn't have an initial concept or anything, I just started going with whatever felt right. Here is the result. I am open to any helpfulness. Thanks.
2.png

Postby Snakebreath » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 am

Snakebreath

Main thing that pops out (or doesn't) to me is the values are a little on the dull side. Really push those highlights and darks to show form :D Overall great picture, I really like the style!
22.png

Postby godsi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:45 am

godsi

Snakebreath wrote:Main thing that pops out (or doesn't) to me is the values are a little on the dull side. Really push those highlights and darks to show form :D Overall great picture, I really like the style!

thank you!!

Postby Uzaydogan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm

Uzaydogan

Hey, first of all, amazing work! Truly. Here, I used the paintover of the other artist and tried to capture some of the things I feel was missing.

1. First of them is, in my opinion, the skin is kind of plastic because it was too smooth and had no cooler tones. So I tried to add some cool hues to shadows and shades. For getting rid of the plastic feeling, I also added some local values-hues (like to nose and cheeks). Also, I added a cast shadow under the nose and make the nostrils more blurry because shadows kill details.

2. I moved the light source a little bit higher because I felt like it was more natural.(sorry if that was one of your main ideas. but I you want to use some direct front unnatural light. you can make it one of the main elements, like a flashlight directed to a face.)

3. put some rough cast shadows on the collar.

4. Put some cast shadows on the eyes and blended the pupil a little bit for some more organic feeling.

5. Now that I realize, I think you can blend the eyebrows a little bit to the skin. They look painted on the skin and that can be one of the reasons why the figure looks like a doll.

6. Made the background darker because we dont need that much of a contrast between figure and ground.

That's all, very nice work. Have fun with your art :)
pig girl copy.jpg

Return to Critique This!