Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snowymoonman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:50 pm

snowymoonman

Subject title: Portrait drawing

This was drawn from a reference, and I'm just wondering where I should start in terms of improvement from here. Do I start really grinding out fundamentals? Or should I start somewhere else? I've been drawing for about 6 months on and off, but I want to take it more seriously now. I look forward to getting feedback.

Postby snowymoonman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm

snowymoonman

Sorry, for some reason the image didn't actually show up on the post, here it is.
08-08-2018.jpg

Postby Gryephon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Gryephon

Well obviously line cleanup is a need. You seem to be drawing more closer to iconography than the fundamental form (EDIT: Do you understand the difference?), so yeah you need to work on fundamentals too.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby snowymoonman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm

snowymoonman

Gryephon wrote:You seem to be drawing more closer to iconography than the fundamental form

From my understanding iconography is when you see an eye as like a circle with a dot in it, and because you see that in your mind as an eye you don't actually draw what you see, it's more of drawing the idea you have in your head of the eye, etc.

Also this drawing is not what I would consider finished, I never really finish drawings for some reason, I usually just sketch things like this.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Ambiguity

I think his point still stands, the drawing is very flat, and not because there isn't shading, the forms are just drawn incorrectly. So yes I would start grinding your fundamentals, in fact that is a life long pursuit, you don't get to be "done" with fundamental practice, just don't forget to apply what you learn to personal pieces too.

Postby snowymoonman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 pm

snowymoonman

Any recommendations in terms of starting on fundementals? Like books or youtube channels? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regardless guys, I appreciate it :)

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:05 am

Ambiguity

Sycra has a lot of links in the resources section of http://www.sycra.net/ . There are also a lot of resources posted here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42

Postby Engell79 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:48 am

Engell79

snowymoonman wrote:Any recommendations in terms of starting on fundementals? Like books or youtube channels? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regardless guys, I appreciate it :)

Draw a box. com never goes out of flavor...

if you go threw their entire progam of challenges, you'll certainly have a grasp of some of the fundementals for sure.

Return to Critique This!