Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Infacti » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Infacti

Subject title: Girl Portrait in Rain

Hey! I drew this yesterday, but I don't feel like the quality is that good, my work gets almost no likes or attention and I am trying my best to improve but I've tried the past two years.
Here's a speedpaint of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCl7Uc-nJ_Y

It took a total of 5 hours and 15 minutes, but despite using so much time, I see so little improvement, my pieces have the same off-putting element to them and I can't place my finger on it. I would like as much critique as I can get.

Here are other pieces of mine: https://www.instagram.com/infacti/

Postby Audiazif » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 am

Audiazif

First off, the amount of likes or attention your work gets has nothing to do with how good or not good your work is.

I looked at the timelapse. I thought the initial stages look great and then things started going out of wack. I don't mean to say your final product is "bad" but I think the piece was stronger in the starting stages. I think what happened is your sketch was in 3/4 view and as you started rendering and refining you slowly brought things to a more frontal view. This is a very common thing that happens. In order to mitigate this you need to constantly be aware of this tendency and trust your measurements and reference. I also think your edges might need work. Maybe try to bring more hard edges inside of the face. A harder edge is for a cast shadow, sharp transition, or emphasizing and softer edges are for model shadows, soft transitions, or taking away focus. I did a quick paint over to show some of the things I mentioned.
Spoiler: show
Untitled-6.png

Untitled-7.png
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Gryephon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 am

Gryephon

Chin is looking kind of masculine, it should get a little bit rounder around the jawline. here is a reference

Spoiler: show
PicasaPhotoViewer_2018-08-06_02-15-04.jpg

on the instagram. Your art is plagued with proportion issues (most noticeable shoulders seemingly small, though facial proportions do need some work), lighting doesn’t make much sense in a lot of them, colors are overly saturated and don't really unify well, soft focus doesn’t make any sense (seems more like trying to use it to hide unfinished work or simply control detail instead of portraying depth), composition looks cramp in some (objects are touching sides creating some tangents)

Everything is fixable just a lot of work.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Return to Critique This!