Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Madoles » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Madoles

Subject title: Dragon -would appreciate ideas and tips for a new background

Greetings!

This is still a WIP and i need some big help with what I could add in the background, I aim to completely erase the wall of stone there.
It's a scene from a DnD campaign that I've been playing. The characters stumbled upon a sleeping and century old dragon in a dark underground cavern. I've been thinking about maybe adding some withered ruins in there, whatcha think?
Also, any critique is welcome. Doesn't have to be about the background.

Looking forward to your answers!
resized leandros.png

Postby bosinpai » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 am

bosinpai

Hi!

Right now I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on in this piece.

My first reflex was to look for a larger resolution (which isn't available AFAICS) but that may mean the piece should read clearer.

At first glance I saw a drapped figure extremely bent forward lighting some cave that happens to look like a dragon head from this angle.
I couldn't tell for sure because all the values are so dark.

Looking again carefully it seems I mistook the left arm for the bust, got the character's direction wrong at 90° (not looking at the dragon but at the wall), and failed to notice the dragon's neck entirely.
The interaction between the character and the dragon is still unclear.

My laptop's monitors has pretty intense darks, but on my external monitor this doesn't change much.
I would suggest experimenting with "Autocontrast" and value levels. I had this kind of issue while working on
https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/downl ... &mode=view
sadly I realized it after the piece was finished ^_^

Postby Madoles » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Madoles

bosinpai wrote:My laptop's monitors has pretty intense darks, but on my external monitor this doesn't change much.
I would suggest experimenting with "Autocontrast" and value levels. I had this kind of issue while working on
https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/downl ... &mode=view
sadly I realized it after the piece was finished ^_^

I see! Thank you very much for your input! I actually had the fear that it might be too dark, i didn't know how to express it in a good way with them being underground, so i will try and see what I can do!

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 am

Ambiguity

The values are definitely a problem, but I kind of feel like even if you found a way to fix those, the composition is still a bit odd. It's set up like an establishing shot, but I don't think the environment is meant to be the main focus from the little bit of story you told us. This would require a completely rework, but I think the story would be illustrated a lot stronger if we focused on either showing how intimidating the dragon is, or the traveler's reaction to him.

Excuse the crudeness, just some roughs to show some potential composition ideas.

Return to Critique This!