Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Snakebreath

Subject title: Outbreak

Hey guys, did a quick environment painting with some downtime at work. Something about it doesn't feel "finished". Let me know what I could fix up!
Outbreak.jpg

Postby Kickass-Portfolio » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Kickass-Portfolio

maybe you should add some hot girls with bikinis playing volleyball in the background

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:28 am

Snakebreath

Maybe you should stop trolling the forums and delete your account. :?:

Postby Toon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:07 am

Toon

I think this is really cool, and I wanna preface my critique by saying that I don't really do environments, so my advice may not be the best. But from what I can see, it feels unfinished because of a lack of texture. Everything in the image feels like it's made of plastic. Even the dirt looks kind of plastic. I feel like the piece of wood in the foreground, the leaves in the foreground, and clouds in the background are all done really well and feel textured. But the dirt and mud in the mid ground feels plastic, and I think that makes the image overall feel unfinished. I hope this helps a little :)

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Snakebreath

Thank you! That helps a lot. The dirt gave me a lot of trouble in this painting, trying to get across the tire treads I think I forgot to go in any give it enough texture :lol:

Postby Jacobkroon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Jacobkroon

Play around with your composition, there's nothing that draws my eye to something and the lightning doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it seems to be coming from above but above is just dark clouds covering the sky.

I would say less detail on the foreground (the grass and fence) and way darker, check how it looks if you take away the tree and add it to the right of the image and make the branches point towards the main tent

and a cooler more desaturated colour for the grassfield in the background while the grass in the middle at the tent could be brighter

Return to Critique This!