Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby CelineLind » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 pm

CelineLind

Subject title: Girl in water

Please critique this piece! I know my hand drawing skills are much of non existent, but Im training profuselly at it, and slowlly getting better. Other than that, critique to no end! :)

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 am

Ambiguity

To be honest I don't think I can help you much at your current level. I mean I can tell you whats wrong with the perspective, anatomy, lighting, etc., but I think you'd learn a lot more just by drawing and observing more from life, even doing some really accurate copies would probably help at this point.

This is an interesting composition though, definitely illustrate more in between your study sessions if it's what you're passionate about.

Postby CelineLind » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 am

CelineLind

Thank you. Ive never enjoyed or been verry good at drawing from life. Therefor it isnt so strange that you think thats what I need, lol. Ive done a few good real life drawings, but its a rear occation to the mostlly shitty art.

I will though take your advise, and work more on drawing from life, although it pains me to hear, lol!

I am acctually more into drawing charecters and telling stories than doing illustrations, but once in a while I do get some idees, haha :)

Postby Plumbum » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Plumbum

Don't worry about not being good or not enjoying at drawing from life. It always feel like that in the start. As you get better and better at describing what you see, you should get better and it becomes more fun ;)

If you are in need of a better understanding to enjoy figure drawing, I would highly recommend proko's figure drawing course. This is the free version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59y ... Y9Fbw_d2ws
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby CelineLind » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 pm

CelineLind

I get frustrated when it doesnt come out like I wanted to, It really is My biggest weakness!! If you got tips om hö to work on that Im all Up :lol:

Postby Plumbum » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Plumbum

I used to feel the same. I highly recommend starting with capturing the simple gesture of the model and building up from there. I linked to a playlist of videos that really helped me in my previous comment.

Real names are private.

Postby CelineLind » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 pm

CelineLind

Will watch it! :) Took the advise and acctually redrew some photos. although theyre only done verry sketchy... Will try getting some more done today while watching the videos! :D

https://imgur.com/a/hSq73VN

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Ambiguity

CelineLind wrote:Ive never enjoyed or been verry good at drawing from life. Therefor it isnt so strange that you think thats what I need, lol. Ive done a few good real life drawings, but its a rear occation to the mostlly shitty art.

It's usually a good sign that there is something to be learned there when you're struggling lol. If it was really easy it would mean you probably know what you're doing already right :)? Also, I should probably clarify, when I said observe "from life", I didn't necessarily mean things right in front of you, I just meant make intent observations about real things(so photos are fine too). Although, it is definitely best if you can get in front of the real thing and observe it "unfiltered" with your own eyes.

I never much cared for it as either btw, but it's a means to an end, not the end itself. That's why I said you should also be doing the imaginative illustrations(or whatever you're interested in) in between these studies, that's really how you're going to help solidify the knowledge gained from your observational drawing.

Postby CelineLind » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:51 pm

CelineLind

Ambiguity wrote:
CelineLind wrote:Ive never enjoyed or been verry good at drawing from life. Therefor it isnt so strange that you think thats what I need, lol. Ive done a few good real life drawings, but its a rear occation to the mostlly shitty art.

It's usually a good sign that there is something to be learned there when you're struggling lol. If it was really easy it would mean you probably know what you're doing already right :)? Also, I should probably clarify, when I said observe "from life", I didn't necessarily mean things right in front of you, I just meant make intent observations about real things(so photos are fine too). Although, it is definitely best if you can get in front of the real thing and observe it "unfiltered" with your own eyes.

I never much cared for it as either btw, but it's a means to an end, not the end itself. That's why I said you should also be doing the imaginative illustrations(or whatever you're interested in) in between these studies, that's really how you're going to help solidify the knowledge gained from your observational drawing.

You are right, and I know it! Im really bad at perservering through studies and such, which is why my improvment isn't really to the level I want. I meen, this piece you see here is from 2013, and sure theres improvments, but not to the point of 5 years of drawing! I am I point where I feel like I need to improve as all my friends who draw are just running away from me and my skill level, and its taunting!

https://drawingsfromhell.deviantart.com ... -366948836

Postby Plumbum » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Plumbum

Haha, no worries, we have all been there. Basically, in the beginning the art you do without references will look better. Soon, however, if you persevere, the art you do from reference will be better than the art you do from imagination. I just looked at your drawings, and that's a great start. I would recommend you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3 ... 2fwOxR6Zn6

If you need some motivation, I highly recommend you looking at some of the sketchbooks on here. Some started when they were not very good and has since got better and better. Our sketchbook is definitely in that category (although still a far way from good).

Real names are private.

Postby CelineLind » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:29 pm

CelineLind

Plumbum wrote:Haha, no worries, we have all been there. Basically, in the beginning the art you do without references will look better. Soon, however, if you persevere, the art you do from reference will be better than the art you do from imagination. I just looked at your drawings, and that's a great start. I would recommend you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3 ... 2fwOxR6Zn6

If you need some motivation, I highly recommend you looking at some of the sketchbooks on here. Some started when they were not very good and has since got better and better. Our sketchbook is definitely in that category (although still a far way from good).

Thank you :) will watch the video!

Ive been in there a lot recentlly xD Its the place to find awesome art every day of the week!

Return to Critique This!