Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Quasar » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:08 am

Quasar

Subject title: Giant Salamander Farmer

Just some practice with an idea that I've been tooling around for a bit (just the giant salamander pet/livestock thing).
Any feedback would be appreciated!
I feel like I am still struggling with lighting and some aspects of anatomy
Webp.net-compress-image (3).jpg

Postby bosinpai » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:03 pm

bosinpai

Hi,

This is cute ^^

To me this looks more like a giant chameleon than a giant salamander (salamander: more defined neck, eyes may pop out more, no claws).

The girl has proportions issues - unless that was an artistic decision.
I may help to draw her without the salamander first, in particular position the groin at half-size.
This is a 3/4 view so it may help to draw her without clothes first to properly position the torso and the arms.
Lots elements of detail feel off (hands, nose/mouth placement, neck, deltoids shape), though nothing major.

Postby Quasar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Quasar

I see what you mean about it not quite looking like a salamander. This is probable because I was trying to make a lizard like monster creature, but I kind of fell short so it ended up just looking like a salamander to me :/
As far as the drawing process advice goes, I did draw the two characters separately and clothes-less at first. I have the sketch layer here (I had merged all of the layers used for sketching to save on space).
Looking at it again, I definitely see some issues with how I spaced body parts out and which parts I chose to exaggerate leading to an overall kind of off looking character. However, I can't quite pin down where I went wrong during the sketching phase (except for the too-big forehead).
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Postby bosinpai » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:18 pm

bosinpai

Maybe you just need to refine your sketch some more.
A few millimeters can change your character significantly and such a leap is hard to notice in a loose sketch.
Here's how I'd outline the character, does that help?
Quasar.png

P.S.: I see I placed the legs in the opposite order :) The stick looks like it's between her feet in your sketch though, which would be inconvenient when walking.
P.P.S.: such a serene vibe in this piece ^_^

Postby Quasar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 am

Quasar

Yeah, that helps loads!
I can see where my shoulder width was too wide for a normal looking person and the adjustments to the arm placements are also very helpful!
The slight changes to the torso and face are nice as well.
Thank you for doing this sketch-over :)

Return to Critique This!