Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Machine » Sun May 27, 2018 3:01 am

Machine

Subject title: Oil painting Critique

On this painting I was trying to convey the details through less actual detail and more suggestion of it. I'm happy with how it turned out and the major decrease of time spent. I only spent about 4 hours on this, though I still want to know more ways I can improve my paintings.

https://imgur.com/a/KBUGPHl
Having a machine like dedication to art is what I want, getting there is the problem.

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Audiazif

I think you did the conveying of detail without detail. Keep doing this it is looking great. I would maybe suggest going in and adding more definition to areas you want the viewer to be drawn to. I am not saying you have to do this, the painting looks fine the way it is. It is just what I think is the next step for you if that is what you are looking for. I would also play around with brush size. I find that starting with a larger brush, not so large that it will encumber you but still big enough to keep you from detailing, and then move to smaller and smaller brushes helps speed things up. I see it like if you are trying to paint a wall, it is possible to paint it with a tiny brush but it would be much faster to paint with a bigger brush.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!