Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Machine » Sat May 26, 2018 5:35 am

Machine

Subject title: Oil painting Critique

I've been oil painting for a few months now and decided to go ahead and give a peice my best. After overworking everything and 30+ hours I just rushed the ending, pretty tired of it, I didn't like how it was turning out.
In the end I learned a lot from it that will be useful later, but still need to know how to save time.
TL;DR
Any advice or tips on how to conserve time when painting would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/kd4CrPU
Having a machine like dedication to art is what I want, getting there is the problem.

Postby Josephcow » Sat May 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Josephcow

Well I would say that the big read is always more important than the details. It seems likely you spent a lot of time rendering all the tufts of fur, but it might not have been absolutely necessary. Sometimes suggestion of detail is more powerful than the laborious rendering of it. That said, the texture of the fur does look pretty cool, though the structure underneath doesn't read as well as I would hope.

Besides that, as you know the medium better you will get faster. You'll make fewer mistakes to correct, and you'll figure out what you don't really need to spend so much time on. A lot of times people think painting "faster" means just speeding up what they're doing, physically. but it's actually more like just being more efficient.

Postby Machine » Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Machine

Thanks, I'll definetly try more of a suggestive approach next time.
Having a machine like dedication to art is what I want, getting there is the problem.

Return to Critique This!