Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby JacksonEliGray » Sat May 05, 2018 9:32 pm

JacksonEliGray

Subject title: Creature/Character Concept

Initially this was just intended to be a portrait (which is why the quality of the first image is so terrible), but it felt lacking, so I added a body pretty sketchily. But yeah, tear it apart if you have the time!
guy 5 4 2 jpg.jpg
guy 5 4 2 2 jpg.jpg
guy 5 4 2 3.jpg

Postby ArvidHjorth » Thu May 10, 2018 6:40 pm

ArvidHjorth

The good:
- I really like the overall wierdness of this. There's something slightly unsetteling, which is what you went for I guess. It gives me a distinct Lynchian/Cronenbergian wibe.
- The face is great and the hands compliments it well. Definetly interesting - good job!

Areas of improvement:
- You said this is a concept - I always ask myself in such instances, what is the concept? Who is this person/creature, and what is the information you're trying to convey through the concept art? I don't think that's clear in this instance, and it needs to read very clearly. Why is he holding a box? Why does he have strings tied across his face and the box he's holding? All this should be clear from a quick glance at the piece.
- On a more technical level - the pose is stiff, and the sketch-like body very much offsets the whole painting due to the clash in contrast with the well-rendered face. This draws attention from the concept.
- On the presentation; the background doesn't do much. It doesn't really provide any additional information - which makes it sort of unneccesary and ultimatly confuses the idea of the painting. Is this an illustration or a concept piece? A simple solution is often best for character concept art I find.

Hope this was somewhat helpful :)
Aspiring concept artist/illustrator in Stockholm, Sweden.

My sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12361
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/arvidhjorth/

Postby JacksonEliGray » Sat May 26, 2018 6:32 pm

JacksonEliGray

Incredibly helpful, thank you! :)

Return to Critique This!