Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Rotten Muffin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 pm

Rotten Muffin

Subject title: Critique my portrait; is it ready to sell?

Hey everyone! I'm liking this new brush, so I tried doing some more playing around with it. I took advice from one of my previous posts and tried to simplify the aspects that are not the piece's focal point.

But actually now I have a bit of a different question. Impressed by my most recent work, (my previous post), one of my teachers said that he was going to give me the number of this friend of his who is also and artist. She has a shop/gallery where she prints/paints her artwork and sells it. She also buys and re-sells artwork of other people, so my teacher suggested I took my pieces for her to sell. Thing is, she curates and decides whether or not your art is good enough for her gallery.

Quiestion is, do you think I'm ready? Do you think my work is good enough to be worthy of being in a gallery/shop? I actually did this piece to add to the collection and try to have more diverse pieces for the shop, so, do you think this piece is good enough to put on sale?

Higher res: https://rotten-muffin.deviantart.com/ar ... -741056613
for forum.jpg

Postby fi_le » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm

fi_le

Hey dude, good question!

I think every piece of art someone does is worth putting into a museum/gallery. I know this sounds like I'm a mom telling her children about how awesome their pictures are, but if you think about it you'll probably come to the conclusion that there shouldn't be anyone making the distinction.

Well, that's also very probably not what you want to hear at all, so now I'm going to concentrate on the shop part, the hard stochastics of whether your painting is going to sell, if you like to put it like that.
You might be surprised to hear this, but from what I can tell art that does its job has style, appeal and or meaning - notice that so far skill isn't in the equation at all here. However, to convey all that, skill is needed, which is why all of us are so focused on it, I guess. What I'm trying to say here is: You're good enough and the painting you presented is probably going to sell for a decent price; regardless, you're welcome to do something more expressive, because it does seem like your thing lacks that.

I hope to be able to have helped you! Good luck and goodbye :)

Edit: Btw her ear is a little too small and too high :b
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Rotten Muffin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Rotten Muffin

fi_le wrote:Hey dude, good question!

I'm a girl, though!

fi_le wrote:What I'm trying to say here is: You're good enough and the painting you presented is probably going to sell for a decent price; regardless, you're welcome to do something more expressive, because it does seem like your thing lacks that.

Yes, I understand, I'm looking for more interesting references and ideas, I just did this particular piece for the only purpose of practicing and asking this very question, before actually tackling something a bit more challenging!

fi_le wrote:Edit: Btw her ear is a little too small and too high

Humm, you might be right, good catch, thanks!

Postby fi_le » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:34 pm

fi_le

Heyo!
First of all, I'm sorry if you don't like to be called "dude"! I kind of guessed you were a girl, but I think of the word as non-gender-specific, but I can totally understand if you think otherwise.
Secondly, if you're inclined to doing a more challenging piece, I think everything will be just fine. Well, although these things are sometimes much harder than you'd think at first. Anyways, Best regards!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Critique This!