Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Phantost » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:58 am

Phantost

Subject title: anatomy + background interaction help?

Spoiler: show

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone here (busts/waist up) and I'm reallllly struggling
I can tell I'm doing so many things wrong but I just cant figure out how to fix them
I'm specifically noticing the legs and the interaction with the couch but I'm sure theres more

Postby Audiazif » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:39 am

Audiazif

I did a drawover. I think it might help a little. It is kind of rough but I hope it gets things across.

First I would like to say that it is a good thing that you are going out of your comfort zone. I would keep it up.

It is difficult to really cover everything but I will say what I think are the major issues. The first thing is the awkwardness and stiffness of the pose. I would practice gesture to help with the stiffness. And for the awkwardness, I would use reference. This could be an image, a friend, or even yourself. Using reference form life is a good way to learn how the body moves and its limits. Next thing that I see is that there is a flatness to that figure. I think you need to work on the structure and construction of things. Again this is going to need to be practiced. Learn to break things down into simple forms and shapes. Anatomy is a great thing to learn and should be learned but anatomy on top of a bad gesture and structure in going to end up being bad.

The interaction with the couch is hard to say. I think reference would help and knowledge of perspective wouldn't hurt.

In the end, This is something new to you so it is not going to be your best work. On top of that it is a difficult subject (I struggled a bit with the drawover even with years of figure drawing under my belt). You can't expect to be a master at something you have never done. Keep working at it and you will get better.

P.S. I realized that I am comparing an edited version of your original to the drawover. The arm on the couch was lowered. This was because the back of the couch didn't line up with itself in the original. Remember to always draw through.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!