Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby silverblaize » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:52 pm

silverblaize

Subject title: Anatomy and clothing

I drew these poses from a photo reference, and then I added clothes from my imagination.

My ultimate goal is to get good enough to do storyboards. I've seen most storyboards have simple and clear images,
so if these are good enough for that, that's what I'm aiming at. What do you think?

Any critiques on what and how I can improve are welcome, thanks! :D

Postby Audiazif » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Audiazif

If you are looking for simple, I think these are kind of there already. In fact you could simplify even more, imo. At least the bodies but I think the faces may be more important to get detailed with in a storyboard (I am not an expert so that might not be true). I think you could get away with more gestural bodies that convey the body language and make the faces more detailed so to convey the emotion.

If you want a critique on the anatomy and clothing I think I could help with the anatomy. The clothing seems okay to me although you might need to work on the "flowiness" of the cloth and how gravity pulls things. Starting at the basics, some of your center lines seem a bit off. Mainly in the first, second, and forth female drawings. The center lines look like you shifted them to more of a front view, to where things are even on both sides. This is a normal tendency and it takes practice and a conscious effort to not do it. Another thing I see is you might not be giving enough side plane on the bodies. Lastly, I think you need to work on overlaps. These help with orientation and the foreshortening of things. An example would be the female back view, things just seem to flatten out because there are not overlaps to show what is going on.

edit: I forgot to mention that in the female figures you might want to watch your indents for the "hourglass" shape of the torso. It looks like you are putting it too low. The indent should be about half way between the bottom of the crotch and the top of the shoulder, the crotch and shoulders being the widest points of the torso and half way between being the thinnest.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby silverblaize » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm

silverblaize

Thanks for your input!

At this point I will continue practicing gestures and also facial expressions, because I do agree with you that those are probably the most important in storyboards. But I will also practice regular life drawing anatomy on the side as well.

For the time being I wanted to be able to get solid drawings that help illustrate story ideas, so I can start learning more about storyboards like cinematography, composition, etc.

Return to Critique This!