Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby yazzster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 pm

yazzster

Subject title: Depth and values problem? [Environment concept art]

Hey everyone! I'm trying to build portfolio to apply for concept art for games and I'm not really sure if these pieces are up to standard? It's very stylized but I do feel like I have a problem with depth and values in general or even color, what do you guys think?

https://imgur.com/a/QzwZ1

Postby Audiazif » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Audiazif

I think the issue is perspective. It looks like you are not comfortable with perspective or you just need to use it more. Not just linear perspective. A note about the linear perspective would be that you are using one point perspective in a situation that is not ideal for it. One point has its limits. I would recommend trying out different angles and perspectives to see how things work and how far you can push things.

There is also atmospheric perspective and other things that I would say is "no point" perspective (they create depth without the need for linear perspective but are kind of based on the principles). Atmospheric perspective might give you some idea of values and color but i am not sure if it is what you are asking for. The rule of thumb is as you go back in the painting, things get less saturated, have less contrast, and are less crisp. Also things tend to go "cooler" in color temperature. These might not always be the case but they are a good starting point. One thing that I think is a big factor in your depth problem is that you have little to no overlapping of objects. Everything is spread out so you see each thing in its entirety. This gives little sense of things being in front one another. And if you are not careful you end up with visual tangents, which is the case in at least the first painting, that can flatten things. Lastly, I would try to give things a more cohesive sense of scale. The proportions of things seem to be off compared to other things. For example the scale of the doors (something that is somewhat a standard size in reality) compared to other elements of the painting seems off.

Another thing that might be helpful is to do thumbnails and studies like these.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!