Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:33 pm

godsi

Subject title: Pink Demon Portrait

Today I have a requested painting I made only a day ago. It wanted it to be a basic portrait with a plain background to compliment it. This is the result! I would like a general critique. Thank you.

Edit: sorry for the broken link everyone!

new link ----->
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gulszy6gjzp32hc/yellowonibg.png?dl=0
Last edited by godsi on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mandilor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Mandilor

The link doesn't work for me.

Postby Camilo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Camilo

"403 Forbidden" I can't access either.

Postby godsi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:30 am

godsi

Mandilor wrote:The link doesn't work for me.

Sorry about that! Here's the new link https://www.dropbox.com/s/gulszy6gjzp32 ... g.png?dl=0

Postby godsi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:31 am

godsi

Camilo wrote:"403 Forbidden" I can't access either.

So sorry, here's the new link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gulszy6gjzp32 ... g.png?dl=0
thanks for telling me!

Postby Audiazif » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Audiazif

I think things are a little lopsided. Here are some of the things in the face that are askew.
You had the eyes, nose, mouth, and chin pretty much parallel with each other and then other elements on the head, like the ears, horns, and break in the jawline, do not line up with those main features. Almost like the face and head started one way and then some things were changed but the rest of the things stayed the same. This lopsidedness is also carried into the body. The shoulders, armpits, and breasts should all be more or less parallel in relation to one another because they are all based off the rib cage. This all comes down to proportions. The face and body are relatively symmetrical and certain elements are based off other elements (you change one thing, the other things have to change accordingly). I would recommend drawing guide lines, plumb lines, and center lines to help you see where things go and how they line up.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby CaptainKiryu » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 am

CaptainKiryu

I like the monochromatic pink scheme and the highlights in the eyes look cool.

I'm going to focus my critique on painting for form rather than the drawing.

I would say the lighting might be a little funny because the left cheek and chin are so much brighter than the nose--which should probably have about equal or more highlight on it because it is such a protruding feature. You also have a lot of darker shades on the right side of the face and hair that aren't equally applied to her right horn or right side of her body. Along similar lines, it would be nice to see some of the really high-key highlights you have on parts of the face on her body. I'd also soften much of the shading on the cheeks and nose bridge. Most facial shadows are very soft transitions unless there is a really sharp plane change, like the lips, eye sockets or bottom of the nose.

I hope you found this critique helpful and keep moving forward. ^^
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Postby godsi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:44 am

godsi

Audiazif wrote:I think things are a little lopsided. Here are some of the things in the face that are askew.
You had the eyes, nose, mouth, and chin pretty much parallel with each other and then other elements on the head, like the ears, horns, and break in the jawline, do not line up with those main features. Almost like the face and head started one way and then some things were changed but the rest of the things stayed the same. This lopsidedness is also carried into the body. The shoulders, armpits, and breasts should all be more or less parallel in relation to one another because they are all based off the rib cage. This all comes down to proportions. The face and body are relatively symmetrical and certain elements are based off other elements (you change one thing, the other things have to change accordingly). I would recommend drawing guide lines, plumb lines, and center lines to help you see where things go and how they line up.

I see now, thank you!

Postby godsi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:45 am

godsi

CaptainKiryu wrote:I like the monochromatic pink scheme and the highlights in the eyes look cool.

I'm going to focus my critique on painting for form rather than the drawing.

I would say the lighting might be a little funny because the left cheek and chin are so much brighter than the nose--which should probably have about equal or more highlight on it because it is such a protruding feature. You also have a lot of darker shades on the right side of the face and hair that aren't equally applied to her right horn or right side of her body. Along similar lines, it would be nice to see some of the really high-key highlights you have on parts of the face on her body. I'd also soften much of the shading on the cheeks and nose bridge. Most facial shadows are very soft transitions unless there is a really sharp plane change, like the lips, eye sockets or bottom of the nose.

I hope you found this critique helpful and keep moving forward. ^^

Thank you this is very helpful!

Return to Critique This!