Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Dinhosaur » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Dinhosaur

Subject title: Persona 5 Composition (Multiple Characters)

Hey guys, recently I've been drawing the characters from Persona 5 with the goal of having a poster style for each of them. Although I'm fairly happy with the consistent layout that I've been going with so far, I feel like there's something missing or there's too information much going on.
One of the problems I'm facing are the splash marks that don't look too bad, but I'm aiming for a more comic/graphic design style present in the game and related visual materials. Another issue could be the text itself being out of place or doesn't suit the composition.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make it more graphically appealing?

Also feel free to critique everything else such as the anatomy, lighting etc.

Thanks!
H.jpg
Y.jpg
A.jpg
R.jpg
Deviantart: http://dinhosaur.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: sirdinhosaur.tumblr.com/
Instagram: instagram.com/sirdinhosaur/
Youtube: Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/SirDinhosaur

Postby Mandilor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm

Mandilor

I agree, there is too much information. The graphic character shapes in the background are very attention demanding and are drawing my eyes away from the rendered character. I feel like the background is really good on its own and the character is really good on its own but the two are at odds with each other.

You could try and do something like keeping the background grouped to lighter values and the characters ground to darker so that is a solid separation between the two.

Something like this:

I don't think there is anything you should add to make it more appealing graphically. If anything maybe taking away some things, like maybe some of the smaller shapes in the graphic character. But I think it's fine as is. You've balanced those small shapes with other small shapes like the dots and splatters so I don't know if that would actually help or just unbalance a balanced image.

I don't think the text looks too out of place or composition breaking but it is a bit stale. I feel like you might want a more broken up font or maybe it needs so graphical texture to it. The rest of the piece is just so dynamic but the lettering itself is rigid in comparison.

Well thats all I got. They do look really nice though.

Postby Josephcow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:12 am

Josephcow

I agree with Mandilor. These backgrounds are something different which I like. But you don't want them to be so overwhelming. The backgrounds right now use one color, black, and white. What if they just had the color and white? You would lose the drop shadow effect on the graphic version of the figure, but it might look less demanding.

Postby fi_le » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 pm

fi_le

Hey guys!

While I agree with Joseph and Mandilor that the background was quite pushy, that's kinda how the game's aestetic is. An example would be this.

I would solve it by putting sort of a white cutout behind the characters, like here.

What do you all think?
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Dinhosaur » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Dinhosaur

Thank you Mandilor and Josephcow for your feedback! I've taken your feedback into consideration and decided to go with this change (Though I'll still be continuing to change and experiment once I've completed all 9 characters). I feel changing the white to black resembles the aesthetics of the game a lot better. I've also modified the text to suit the games user interface graphics with little textures to make it pop. I'm also aiming to tone down the splash effects and not to overpower the rest of the background.

Thanks fi_le for understanding the design choices I've made haha, I actually did go for the white cut out effect and I think it looks great so far! I'll still be continuing to experiment since I haven't completed all 9 Phantom Thieves yet. Thanks for uploading examples of the game's aesthetics for other people to see.
ryu.jpg
Deviantart: http://dinhosaur.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: sirdinhosaur.tumblr.com/
Instagram: instagram.com/sirdinhosaur/
Youtube: Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/SirDinhosaur

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Josephcow

I like this new background!

Postby Mandilor » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Mandilor

ooo, I like this new change. Much better than what I tried. It still has a lot of the punch and flair but is more readable.

Return to Critique This!