Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby FeatherBow » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:23 pm

FeatherBow

Subject title: Critique lighting

Now I'm study lighting. This is my latest work. I think that something's wrong here. How can i improve or fix it?
eco2.png

Postby Josephcow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:05 am

Josephcow

I really like what you have here! Looks like an interesting idea. I love this lighting set up. Sorry I cropped out the girl, I only have time to paint over part of the picture.

The problem here is that this doesn't feel like sunlight yet. I feel that you're going for really bright warm light because of the way you have the shadows on the man's robe with the little color line before the cast shadow. That's a nice effect but I think some things need to be in place first.

Light and shadow in painting has a really strong logic to it.It's really the consistency, the inner logic, that makes it look believable I believe. So you need to build that consistency. Here's an example.

You've told us that the white robe is a certain value when it is in shadow, it's that pretty dark grey color. Now above him you've shown us that the yellow bananas are a certain color in shadow, a kind of medium orange. Since the bananas are a darker local color than the robe, their value in shadow should be darker than it or at least very similar, but it isn't!

Same with the shadow on that cactus like pole. The green is darker than both the bananas and the robe, so it's value in shadow should be darker than both of them. All the objects in shadow are in a similar state of not being touched by the sunlight.

I hope this helps/makes sense in any way. I think this is good work, and I'd love to see it taken further!
eco3.png

Postby FeatherBow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 pm

FeatherBow

Josephcow wrote:I really like what you have here! Looks like an interesting idea. I love this lighting set up. Sorry I cropped out the girl, I only have time to paint over part of the picture.

The problem here is that this doesn't feel like sunlight yet. I feel that you're going for really bright warm light because of the way you have the shadows on the man's robe with the little color line before the cast shadow. That's a nice effect but I think some things need to be in place first.

Light and shadow in painting has a really strong logic to it.It's really the consistency, the inner logic, that makes it look believable I believe. So you need to build that consistency. Here's an example.

You've told us that the white robe is a certain value when it is in shadow, it's that pretty dark grey color. Now above him you've shown us that the yellow bananas are a certain color in shadow, a kind of medium orange. Since the bananas are a darker local color than the robe, their value in shadow should be darker than it or at least very similar, but it isn't!

Same with the shadow on that cactus like pole. The green is darker than both the bananas and the robe, so it's value in shadow should be darker than both of them. All the objects in shadow are in a similar state of not being touched by the sunlight.

I hope this helps/makes sense in any way. I think this is good work, and I'd love to see it taken further!
Thank you so much for the reply! It really helps. I will try to fix it!

Postby Mandilor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Mandilor

There are a lot of things that could be pointed out but I think the main thing that will help with your lighting is to work on your warm and cool color relationships. Right now the only cools you have your piece are some local blues and greens; everything else is warm. Ever heard the advise warm lights cool shadows? It's a good strategy to use especially when painting out door sun lit scenes because on the whole this is how out door lighting works. The sun lights up everything it touches with a white or slightly warm light. Then everything the sunlight doesn't reach, aka the shadows, the blue sky lights up. So you get this warm lights, cool shadows contrast going on which really works to sell the feeling of a brightly lit out door scene.

Now in contrast to that it does make sense to make areas where the light from the sky wont reach, like inside the shop, more warm as its being lit by bounce light from the ground. But I recon you could do it either way, it's one of those artistic choice things.

It can also get very bright, even in the shadows on a sunny day so don't be afraid to a little lighter.

The rest of my issues with this piece are compositional. That and her feet make it look like she is walking a tight rope. Actually the perspective in general leaves something to be desired but you'll get there.

I did a quick paint over in the hopes it would help illustrate what I'm talking about. I hope it helps give you some ideas for the future.

Postby FeatherBow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:13 am

FeatherBow

Mandilor wrote:There are a lot of things that could be pointed out but I think the main thing that will help with your lighting is to work on your warm and cool color relationships. Right now the only cools you have your piece are some local blues and greens; everything else is warm. Ever heard the advise warm lights cool shadows? It's a good strategy to use especially when painting out door sun lit scenes because on the whole this is how out door lighting works. The sun lights up everything it touches with a white or slightly warm light. Then everything the sunlight doesn't reach, aka the shadows, the blue sky lights up. So you get this warm lights, cool shadows contrast going on which really works to sell the feeling of a brightly lit out door scene.

Now in contrast to that it does make sense to make areas where the light from the sky wont reach, like inside the shop, more warm as its being lit by bounce light from the ground. But I recon you could do it either way, it's one of those artistic choice things.

It can also get very bright, even in the shadows on a sunny day so don't be afraid to a little lighter.

The rest of my issues with this piece are compositional. That and her feet make it look like she is walking a tight rope. Actually the perspective in general leaves something to be desired but you'll get there.

I did a quick paint over in the hopes it would help illustrate what I'm talking about. I hope it helps give you some ideas for the future.

Yeah, I just recently learned the theory of cool shadows and warm light. This is really helpfull. Also thank you for the compositional comments, now this is really important for me too, I'm trying to get better in this. Thank you so much, I will try to fix my picture

Return to Critique This!