Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Entraya » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Entraya

Subject title: Fishface!

This is the best I can do right now, and so I would like to do even better the next time around!
It's limited what I was able to do, and so my imagination doesn't fly freely to what could have been done with this concept, or to try and make the pose and everything that much better
What could have been done better, and how would you have executed this concept, with all the freedom of actual talent?
smol.png

Postby Mandilor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Mandilor

Hard to say as this is actually really good. I feel like the main thing I wish was different is that it doesn't feel like she is in water. The pose makes it feel like she is above water hanging from a tree but the context makes it look like she is in the ocean or lake. Also how is there a tree at the bottom of the lake? So resolving that conflict, I think, would help a lot.

So on that note some things that would help to do that would be to give her a pose thats more "floaty" in nature, especially her hair. You could be fine with a similar pose especially if maybe you added a second rope tying her feet done. but I think having her hair float like a cloud behind her would a) look awesome and b) make it feel more underwater. So things that would help but take more time, more sea creatures. I like the little fish so more of those would work. If you haven't seen sycra's composition videos I recommend watching them but if you have I'll remind you that an odd number of things is a great way to group things while making them feel loose and natural. Also some other creatures like crabs or I feel a seahorse in here would be cool, just a though.

You have a bit of an oddity going on where the foreground things are outlined while the back is not. Now don't get me wrong it looks cool, I like it! But I think you need a middle ground that will bridge the two styles. What I would try is have some of the secondary elements, like the tree and rock things under her, only partially outlined. So you would have a lot of broken likes. I'd also probably increase the number of elements like that, so more rocks or maybe some clams or oysters in the foreground. I see you have a starfish back there, or I think that is, more of those!

I could nitpick at your drawing and anatomy but I'm not sure that'll help you right now with this. Just keep doing figure drawings, or start if you haven't.

Last thing, she is very unrelatable because of those black eyes. Look around and see if you can find an artist that has done a character that has a fish face but maybe them look more human.

Hope that helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck and happy painting!

Return to Critique This!