Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby snisetski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:31 pm

snisetski

Subject title: Can you please help fix this? Thank you!

Hello, it's been a while since I visited this forum and I really missed everyone here! I hope everyone is doing well.

If you don't mind, will you please critique this drawing that I made? Are the hands and finger placement right? How is the face's angle? Does the thing that she's holding look like a body pillow or a dead body lol.

I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it a lot!
0BCC22A0-208B-4EFB-AA13-C74520709BD1.jpeg

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Interesting, is this based on some meme/character/trend? I see stuff like this and I feel so out of touch... ;)

So yeah, I think the pillow aspect isn't really coming across. You need to show that it is just a design wrapped around a pillow. That is easier with a shape or pattern but it is hard with a person. Because you are trained to see them as 3d. Start with guidelines for the shape of the pillow, and then try to convey the wrap around with trial and error. The shading of the pillow itself should be more prominent than the shading on the pillow's design.

My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby snisetski » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:53 am

snisetski

Bugpal Hopeday wrote: ...

No the body pillows aren't a meme or a trend now. They used to be (I think?). I just wanted to draw a girl hugging a pillow but then I thought a pillow is too bland and went for a body pillow :P

Alright, I will keep in mind to follow the form of the pillow. It isn't supposed to be completely cylindrical so I kind of made it a little flat and made most of the body design visible.

How is the real girl that is holding the pillow? Is her form alright? Are her fingers and hands placed correctly? Or is anything out of place of disproportionate? I couldn't draw her legs properly :/

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Ah, I didn't realise about the shape, woops. Even for other shapes, using lines to define the shape first might be somewhat useful I hope. And using bolder value changes will make the shape clear, to convey the pillow-ness.

I think the hands are pretty good! The gesture is a strong point, I think it's pretty convincing. I think the proportions probably could use a little adjustment. I think her head seems to big for her arms. I would probably bring the shoulder width out a bit.

And I would make the head slightly less spherical - even though a human head is round, the sides are usually somewhat flatter, and plus when you layer complex hair on top, you rarely get a perfect sphere.

Re: legs. If you don't already, you should use as many draft layers and guide lines as you like. Eg. if someone is wearing a dress, you still draw the legs in full first. And if the legs are partly obscured, you still draw what is behind. Hope that helps
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby snisetski » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 am

snisetski

Bugpal Hopeday wrote: ...

Alrighty! Thank you so much for all the help, I’ll keep your suggestions in mind.

Return to Critique This!