Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Alpacamood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 am

Alpacamood

Subject title: Still not good at line work!! (gore warning sorta)

hey everyone! I did an illustration I've had in my head for a while and I'm sure I didn't execute it at all in the way I wanted, just in terms of composition alone. I've lost a lot of the dynamism in developing it incorrectly and I have no idea how to correct it, I just know I've made it more boring by flattening it out. also inking still sucks, I have no idea to retain the energy of my sketches when I clean up my work and I'm just lost overall tbh... I'm sharing some process pics just in case it'll help anyone looking give me some tips. Thanks!
critique image.png
devilman illustration to critique.png
devilman illustration to critique 2.png
devilman illustration to critique 3.png

Postby DrawingGuy31 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 am

DrawingGuy31

I think I like the first thumbnail the best. Some tips, Akira's face should be making more expressions. The most important part about fanart is the personality, something a lot of people forget. I think your inking is good, however, I think you should focus on the gesture and perspective more than the inking. The thumbnail made it clear where Akira is grabbing and stepping on and feels very dynamic. This is lost in the final inking since you try to show more of his chest and less of his hands and legs. With Devilman especially, you should exaggerate his proportions and reaches. He shouldn't just be holding the demons sides, he should be tearing through it!

Overall, I think a lot of good is in here but the dynamics of it are lost in the inked version like you said. The demon looks freaking awesome btw!

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:41 am

Snakebreath

I don't think your actual lineart is the issue, I think its the way you apply line weight. There's no real rhyme or reason to where you put your thick and thin lines. Typically you want to use thick lines to accentuate the shadow side of a form, or when an item is overlapping another item, the one closer to the viewer would have thicker line art. And your thin lines on the lighted side of a form and for the smaller details. Hopefully this helps some.

This video really helped me bring my lineart to the next level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zl5NnEAyU

Return to Critique This!