Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DrawingGuy31 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 am

DrawingGuy31

Subject title: Portriat

I'd like some help on this. I'm feeling pretty stuck and want to complete this.

For reference, this is the character I'm trying to draw.

Postby Alluffer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Alluffer

Awesome portrait! (Just watched the first few episodes of Devilman Crybaby and recognized the character right away!)

Only thing at this point I could really point out is that the highlight in the eyes are too big, and make him look cute and not like someone who would be capable of slay demons. Also the hair is a little bit too big for my taste at least, it makes his head look massive.
After you have defined the hair and shirt more you could start detailing the face: adding darkness into the eyes, highlights and sharper edges. And don't be afraid to make the hair darker when you go forward.

Here is just a little demonstration:

Keep up the good work and hopefully this was helpful!

Postby snisetski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm

snisetski

The face is really well painted!

I just fixed a few things. Lemme go through what I did. I've reduced the structure of the tshirt and darkened it because it looked better without a structure and the main focus is the face anyway. I've increased the warmth and a teeny bit of saturation on the face and the red background (red goes super well with black, nice color choice!). I've increased the overall contrast of the face to get a pronounced shadow and structure of the nose, cheekbones and jaw. I've decreased the brightness of the eye highlight. They looked very artificial. I suggest blurring the outline of the white dot when it comes to highlights instead of just placing a white dot with a defined outline. I've also blurred the background to emphasize the focus on the face furthermore.

And that's about it! This is nice portrait, good job.
23AB4F52-DDB8-42E1-81CC-E82E93831213.jpeg

Return to Critique This!