Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby tatloe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

tatloe

Subject title: Comic Page Critque

I'm trying to create a webcomic and first of all I want to make sure it's easily readable or if I should resize the text. But all other critiques are welcome.
page1(syforum).jpg

Postby Josephcow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 am

Josephcow

great start. Very readable. I wonder what happens next!

Postby tatloe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 pm

tatloe

Postby Kendra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Kendra

Looks totally decent to me! And legible. What I'd improve is... Maybe use outline function for cleaner lines or similar. Maybe it's just the picture quality here but it's noticeable on his hand where he's holding the phone. You can see white spaces around lines. Also lines bleeding into one another like on that bookshelf in the background. Fixing up such would give it a more professional, clean look (I think?) Otherwise looks really nice. Best of luck.
I have social anxiety

Postby tatloe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:43 pm

tatloe

I was using the wand to outline it and fill in the colors, but i think the problem was the brush I was using for the line art (mechanical pencil brush) was adding white pixels around the lines. I'm switching brushes and and cleaning it up more now, hopefully that improves the quality.

Postby tatloe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:11 pm

tatloe

I'm also noticing the lines seem to pixelated. I have it set to 600dpi, I dont know if there is something else I should be doing to have better line quality.

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Josephcow

Dpi is mostly a setting for printing. You would still need to increase the resolution to get rid of the pixelation. ex. the picture you uploaded is scaled to 1000 by 625 pixels.

Postby tatloe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 pm

tatloe

Oh, thanks, that helps a lot

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Probably a bit of a nitpick, but speech bubble placement. I saw it as his pillow yelling at him, and I can't unsee it.

Reminds me of how in the comic Mark Trail, it often looked like the dialogue belonged to a lounging chipmunk or moose hanging out in the foreground. :lol:
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby lapot' » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 pm

lapot'

Sooo... I would be nitpicky here, coz...u know...want to help.
Anyway.
1-t are really good.
2-d, i start to distract from the flow of comic because of her heir and arm. It seems like her hair is grow straight INTO her shoulder, so try to distinguish them with some shadow and line of the soulder.........it is a tail, that hanging from the front, isn't it..?
3-d is also good.
4-th is actually quite bad looking from the glimpse, but the problem is already mentioned. Oh, and draw the edge of the bad to indicate that he is still lying. Coz if he isn't, his hand is in the awkward position(elbow must be pointing more downwards).
5-th...talking pillow :)
Ahem.
So, his thighs is to large when bed is so little(they ARE pointing at us, right..?) and try to add shadow to his chest, like he's leaning forward(shoulders bright, chest dark and shadow on his thighs). Now it's just feel awkward and draws attention, yet again stopping the flow of reading.

Postby tatloe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 pm

tatloe

Haha, good to know ill rearrange them to make it more clear who is talking. Thanks

Postby tatloe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 am

tatloe

Thanks lapot, I just saw your post. I'll do my best to improve on everything you brought up.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 am

DarkLored123

If I have anything to stay about the page is the speech and effects bubble placements. It is hard for me to figure out whether the comic is read from left to right or from right to left and the reason is because of how you placed these bubbles. The banging effect in the first panel should be re-positioned in a way that makes the eyes flow to the next panel, so the way you pair speech bubbles and place them is essential for making it easy for a person to glide through the page and keep the immersion in place. The first panel simply makes my eyes subconsciously move towards the panel that is below it on the right which I assume isn't what you intended to happen, so make sure you are conscious about how your speech bubbles control the flow of the page, reading the panels by yourself a couple of times could help you with noticing whether the flow is broken or not.

Return to Critique This!