Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm

tomboyhippyprincess

Subject title: I'd like a general critique on a very difficult drawing

I had a really hard time on this drawing, even if it didn't take longer than most other things I've drawn. It was a huge challenge that required tons of reference images, and I think it turned out at least pleasant to look at. But, I would like some opinions from people who are a bit more trained at art than me. Any criticisms are welcome and encouraged if you can think of anything!
ann takamabadass.png

Postby Alluffer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Alluffer

One thing is really noticeable and it's the lighting situation. There is a strong bright light coming from the bottom but none of your shadows are responding to it. The shadows and highlights seem to be a bit allover the place. Think about the figures and props in your image as 3D objects that have planes. This makes laying the shadows and highlights much easier. Sycra has a great video about that ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZuGE&t=3s

Here is a quick demonstration:

Postby tomboyhippyprincess » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:47 pm

tomboyhippyprincess

Alluffer wrote:One thing is really noticeable and it's the lighting situation. There is a strong bright light coming from the bottom but none of your shadows are responding to it. The shadows and highlights seem to be a bit allover the place. Think about the figures and props in your image as 3D objects that have planes. This makes laying the shadows and highlights much easier. Sycra has a great video about that ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZuGE&t=3s

Here is a quick demonstration:

Thank you, admittedly the fire was an afterthought and it really really shows. I got lazy! I'll be more careful next time.

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:08 am

Bugpal Hopeday

On top of Alluffer's lighting advice, I would focus on the readability a bit. I actually find this picture massively appealing. The composition and the way you've shown the characters personalitys, dominance/subservience, etc elevates it to being more than the sum of it's parts. But because there's so much stuff going on it's hard to read in some areas, especially the tangle of detail with the roses next to her head. I think just reducing the contrast in nonfocal areas helps, and creating blocks of different values.

My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Return to Critique This!