Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby mewtiful » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:23 am

mewtiful

Subject title: Critique on a forest concept

Hello
I did this speedpaint today. It's a bit of a departure from what I usually do, so I would really appreciate any critique or advice.
Thank you!

Postby Mandilor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 am

Mandilor

The main thing that sticks out is the lighting. It doesn't feel like it's a sunny outdoor scene. Try making the shadows brighter and the light areas warmer. There is a lot of light out side which makes it very rare to have large areas that get really dark. Everything tends to gets lit one way or another from all the light bouncing around.

Making the lights warmer will give you a warm lights cool shadow look which is very common in out door light as the shadows are mainly lit by the sky giving the a cool feel to them.

Here is a quick paint over, I hope it helps.

Postby MiguelRuivo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm

MiguelRuivo

Just piggyback on the awesome paintover Mandilor did try to remember the relationship of cool and warm colors. normally outside you have two sources of light both with opposing temperatures Sun (usually warm) and sky (usually cool). On a sunny bright day you can see that the lights are warm and shadows are cool. This is because the shadows are being hit by the sky. Hope it helps!

Return to Critique This!