Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby MiguelRuivo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:36 pm

MiguelRuivo

Subject title: The keepers

Hi guys! Long time lurker and finally i'm here to participate and show my work for improvement! :D

So i finished a print series which i named the Keepers and i wanted to show you guys before i start the second round of images of this series to delineate some areas i need to improve :).

So here's the pieces:

Keeper of hope

http://miguelruivo.tumblr.com/image/165861814951

Keeper of Faith:

http://miguelruivo.tumblr.com/image/167832698806

Keeper of Nature

http://miguelruivo.tumblr.com/image/168008493756

It seems that posting the images is a little funky hope you don't mind the links. Hope you guys enjoy the images and let's grow together! :D

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Josephcow

Aw! these are so cute!

The keeper of nature one is just a little bit confusing. A lot of textures and stuff going on and the read of the plant thing is a little difficult.
I like how you put another giant plant in the background to give us a clue. So I get that it's like this enormous tulip with giant vines around around it. But it looks like the vine is eating some kind of red pills or something? Did they come from the birds potion? Or perhaps he harvests those red beans from it.

Dunno, I just need a bit more help.

Postby MiguelRuivo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 am

MiguelRuivo

Hi Joseph, thanks for the fast reply and comment :) Yeah it should be the bird harvesting. Actually i got that from other people and i think perhaps the storytelling is funky? I've been thinking if wether or not it's right to give the viewer every piece of the puzzle, story wise, or leave a little more like this. Although i think this kind of ambiguity it's also not good because it doesn't generate alternative stories it just makes you doubt the action.

Postby Josephcow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Josephcow

I can totally see that now. I think it's partly the way it's staged, where we're not sure if the bird is giving or receiving. And partly the way the red seeds are attached to the plant. If they are being harvested we need to see that they are somehow part of the plant. But they are just kind of laying in it's 'mouth' so it's a bit ambiguous. My first thought was that the bird might be giving medicine to the plant to keep it alive, y'know.

Like what if he were plucking the seeds off a sort of stamen attached to the plant?
Or what if the head opened into a flower instead of a hole?
Or what if we saw the bird dropping a red seed into his bottle?

This might just be me though, I'm sure some people read it just fine.

Postby MiguelRuivo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 am

MiguelRuivo

Well you are not the first to say that so i guess that makes it a "problem" to adress in the next images :) I do appreciate all the comments you've given to me ;) :D

Return to Critique This!