Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby fi_le » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 pm

fi_le

Subject title: Portrait Critique

Ohne Titel-94.jpg
Hi you lovely people of the Sycra Art Forum,

as a first own topic on this site, I thought a critique request would be most appropriate. If not, or if I do anything else horribly wrong, feel free to scold me :|

Well, to get to the point of this, I noticed I got waaay to confident painting this thing to an archived stream of Sinix's. I used photo reference for the skin tones, but mostly winged the facial construction and obviously the nonsense background stuff.
I tried to practice simple lighting with a hint of a secondary scource and tons of hue variation, so tips on that would be the coolest. Anything goes really though since there are probably tons of anatomy fallacies, composition wankynesses,... ,too. If you feel like it, you just post a YouTube link of something that has to be adressed in my stuff; I'm grateful for anything you have to say :)

Have a nice 2018 y'all!

Edit: Screw me, forgot to attach the image....sigh....
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Alluffer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

Alluffer

Hello and welcome to the forum!^^

First of I would recommend you to make your brush much larger. Now your brush strokes look inconsistent and messy. I also don't really see the lighting situation you're describing... I would stick to one main light source for now. Start by blocking out the bigger areas with the right values. Study the planes of the head with an asaro head! -> planes that are facing the light source get lighter and ones facing away get darker. Sycra has a great video about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZuGE

You have some anatomy issues with the neck and the pose seems a bit uncomfortable. There are also problems with the features like the lips and eyebrows. I would study these things individually step by step.

And a bit about the background. It's kinda throwing me off here. There is so much going on. I would simplify things and try to use the background as frame for the face. Now everything is a bit all over the place and I would try to use patterns which compliment the figure and give a more clear composition.

Here is a little demonstration paintover. (Sorry I overblend, I have a problem with that;;;)

Hopefully this was somewhat helpfull :D

Postby fi_le » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 am

fi_le

Thanks tons, Aluffer!

I'll try getting broader strokes going right now. I can see how the pose seems uncomftortable, I guess turning the torso and softening the neck planes works out really nicely!

About the planes of the face, yeah, Sycra always has something to complain about with me on that one, too. The darker side of the face gave me some issues regarding the eye fold and stuff; however, I kind of don't understand what was wrong with the eyebrows, some clarification would be really cool on that.

You're definitely right on the composition though. I always try to get some big-medium-small stuff in for good measure, but I suppose it really just confuses. Oh well.

So, I did a quick and dirty fix; did it make it better?

Most importantly though, a big old thank you for the great paintover once more. I'll go and do one myself, hoping it doesn't make everything even worse for the other person... ;)

Edit: My idocracy knows less limits than the universe itself, forgot to attach the file.
Ohne Titel-94 Alt.jpg
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

Postby Alluffer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 am

Alluffer

Looks way cleaner now!

And yeah the brows: they kinda look like they were drawn in. They also have a weird angle on them. Istebrak explains this "drawn in" issue in the first critique of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rsWREj9Wck

Postby fi_le » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 am

fi_le

Thanks, I think I got it now :)

Return to Critique This!