Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Dawnpainterz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Dawnpainterz

Subject title: General help seeing faults~

Just looking for some help with knowing what I need to work on.
Sadly, I don't get a lot of good Critiques very often so while I know,
vaguely what needs work I never know specifics. : (

A few of my latest pieces: https://imgur.com/a/9Isea

Postby Ab Captain » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:54 am

Ab Captain

From what you've shown, I think the most prevalent issue is your handling of composition. This isn't really an issue present in the character drawings on white backgrounds, but your paintings have many points of interest of similar visual importance. Having many points of interest isn't a bad thing by itself, but you need to consider what is given importance. The best example is this painting you did.
XkM9Nqt.png

There is a clear focus in the left figure's face, but there are so much contrast all over the place, which heavily distracts from the focus. The other paintings aren't as contrast ridden, but still feel confused as to where the focus should be. I would suggest making the glowing parts less contrasted everything else (make them less bright or surrounding areas less dark) there are other ways to accentuate or downplay contrast too.

I hope that helps, I'm no painting expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Tear my art to shreds (Preferably constructively)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90773

Return to Critique This!