Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm

godsi

Subject title: General Critique

On my last critique I was advised to work on my color balance, and more particularly with white shades.
I have implemented it to the best of my ability here by using white as one of the main colors.
I would also like a general critique of the drawing. Thanks!
gyar2.png

Postby Alpacamood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:29 am

Alpacamood

i think this is pretty nice! has an early 2000's anime aesthetic. though, there are pretty significant structural errors. the left leg doesn't really connect to the hips correctly (the characters left, the viewers right). i like the way you simplified the left hand, but the hand resting on the bear has an extra finger, and detailing only one of the hands makes the one on the right look like you're cutting corners rather than making deliberate stylistic choices. the strong shapes of the hair and the wings make a really nice silhouette and i appreciate the asymmetry in their design. i think the ornamentation in the hair is too busy, maybe pick the pieces that are important to that character and apply the rest to other characters if they feel too important to get rid of completely. i think your rendering technique is very appealing but you should probably start studying the figure more carefully. i tried to draw over your pose to kinda illustrate the proportional issues. good luck!
godsi image critique.png

Postby godsi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 am

godsi

Alpacamood wrote:i think this is pretty nice! has an early 2000's anime aesthetic. though, there are pretty significant structural errors. the left leg doesn't really connect to the hips correctly (the characters left, the viewers right). i like the way you simplified the left hand, but the hand resting on the bear has an extra finger, and detailing only one of the hands makes the one on the right look like you're cutting corners rather than making deliberate stylistic choices. the strong shapes of the hair and the wings make a really nice silhouette and i appreciate the asymmetry in their design. i think the ornamentation in the hair is too busy, maybe pick the pieces that are important to that character and apply the rest to other characters if they feel too important to get rid of completely. i think your rendering technique is very appealing but you should probably start studying the figure more carefully. i tried to draw over your pose to kinda illustrate the proportional issues. good luck!

Thank you so much! Actually, that's the exact aesthetic I was aiming for. I'm so glad it presented that way.
Also I see where my mistakes are now! I plan on doing more figure drawings to help with my anatomy, thanks again! This really helps.

Postby Alpacky » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:15 am

Alpacky

I can't really tell who this character is, the design is all over the place. I'm getting a sort of good and evil vibe.. but there's too much for me to understand clearly, and the messiness that results isn't very appealing to the eye. I like it overall just try to think about who this character is and what it is they might wear, so that we could get a better idea, if the idea is crazy, than work with the expression and pose more ect.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby godsi » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:36 am

godsi

Alpacky wrote:I can't really tell who this character is, the design is all over the place. I'm getting a sort of good and evil vibe.. but there's too much for me to understand clearly, and the messiness that results isn't very appealing to the eye. I like it overall just try to think about who this character is and what it is they might wear, so that we could get a better idea, if the idea is crazy, than work with the expression and pose more ect.

I see. When I begin a sketch I don't think about WHO I am drawing, and I really just draw whatever comes to mind and whatever accessories and colors I think will look cool. I am not thinking more in depth to what idea or story the picture is trying to portray! Thank you for your comment, this really got me thinking!

Return to Critique This!