Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Iksnerogib » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Iksnerogib

Subject title: Color study

Hi, guys. Been some time since my last logon here.
Been studying a lot...
How are yall going?

This is a color/portrait study.
Critiques and feedback are very welcome!

walterAS_sf.png
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 am

Ambiguity

So you were just trying to get accurate colors from a photo? It would help to see your reference if so.

Postby Iksnerogib » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 am

Iksnerogib

Ambiguity wrote:So you were just trying to get accurate colors from a photo? It would help to see your reference if so.

Sorry, I should have explained.
I wasn't trying to reach colors from the reference.
As it had a completely different ambience and all.

I was trying to get convincing colors from imagination.

Used this photo just as a starting point:
https://www.fringebloggers.com/wp-conte ... bishop.jpg
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby Alpacky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Alpacky

It’s fairly muddied and muted throughout the entire piece...
The skin tone seems sorta unnatural, not my specialty but some redder redness?
Whole image is over smoothed kinda, more cut and blend would be better than smooth all around, meaning mix more hard edges and transitions it’s areas of smooth gradient...
Colors aren’t that exciting really, I know it’s meant to be sorta muted and a little serious and such, but it’s monochromatic green blue gray with a pale skin tone... in a light environment so harsh, his skin wouldn’t look like that, it would reflect more of the color from his environment.
Nice mood though, turned a boring photo into a dramatic and moody one, is nice overall. Hope this is helpful!
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Iksnerogib » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:08 am

Iksnerogib

Alpacky wrote:It’s fairly muddied and muted throughout the entire piece...
The skin tone seems sorta unnatural, not my specialty but some redder redness?
Whole image is over smoothed kinda, more cut and blend would be better than smooth all around, meaning mix more hard edges and transitions it’s areas of smooth gradient...
Colors aren’t that exciting really, I know it’s meant to be sorta muted and a little serious and such, but it’s monochromatic green blue gray with a pale skin tone... in a light environment so harsh, his skin wouldn’t look like that, it would reflect more of the color from his environment.
Nice mood though, turned a boring photo into a dramatic and moody one, is nice overall. Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm kinda afraid of saturation, I guess. I'm seeing this in lots of my paintings.
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby MiguelRuivo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm

MiguelRuivo

Very nice work, although as mentioned saturation is key! If i might add when trying for colors it's more important, i found, to nail the relationship of the colors altogether. Thinking in warm and cool colors it's easier than thinking about the hues, cause the hues are part of color while temperature is a characteristic that emerges from the use of Hue, Saturation and value. Hope this helps and keep going :D

Return to Critique This!