Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:16 am

Markdawg

Subject title: Concept art improvement 2

So heres some more of that character I'm designing for my comic. I will post more characters. At this moment I am just perfecting this character. I'm working on the others as well. So he is a perfected military experiment who is designed in combat. He has a thick skin, an okay healing factor, he can see in the dark, and is a master at many different styles of martial arts. He is also trained in fighting with weapons, and is an exelent shot with his guns. He was a part of the Mexican Military.

Let me know how I can bring him to life even more in the arts. Sorry about the low quality. I dont have a scanner.

Postby Audiazif » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:12 am

Audiazif

It is a good start but I think it is suffering from the same problems as your last post. Mostly just slight proportionals and placement issues. A lot of small issues will add up to make something look not quite right. It looks like you are kind of going for a little bit stylized but proportions still apply, especially the closer you get to realism. Actively measuring and comparing are the only ways I know how to get things to look proportional. It may be a pain for a bit but before you know it you will be able to do it by eye and have measuring in your back pocket for times when things get out of hand. I think these small proportional issues can be ironed out through practice. One issue I will draw attention to is the ear. It is not placed correctly. The ear falls in between the brow and the bottom of the nose. Another thing is that if you are going to draw the ear actually draw it. I am not sure how much the camera effected the drawing but it still kind of looked like you gave up on the ear. If you are not sure how something looks find refs or look at life.

One thing that is unclear is the the "cloth" over his nose and mouth. Is it fabric? If it is then I would make in more clear by adding wrinkles and have it follow the forms of the face a little more. How is it attached to the face? Is it tied on? It just ends behind the ear.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:04 am

Markdawg

I really like what you did with the photo. What are some exercises I can apply. I have a very basic understanding on how the face is connected. I also want you to see the more finished version of my last post. Its still not done, but I've applied w what you recommended.

Postby Markdawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 am

Markdawg

Test panel for my comic, page 1

Let me know what you all think!

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 am

Audiazif

It seems like there is a lot of exposition. I think of a comic/graphic novel as an analog movie or tv show. How interesting would that show or movie be if it was just monologues and dialogue? Show rather than tell what is going on. I would maybe think of doing some more initial planning. It is better to iron out all the kinks before you start investing a significant amount of time on something. I mean this page looks like you are doing things on the fly. Do you have a script? Thumbnails? "Pencils"? Maybe read up on how comics are made in the industry.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Markdawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 am

Markdawg

Yeah, I got it written out. This is just a test panel.

Postby fi_le » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:27 pm

fi_le

I totally agree with Audiazif. Because of that, I can only point to a good example of the principle "Show, don't tell". Here's a cool webcomic that tells its story with hardly any dialouge:

https://m.tapas.io/series/Green-Monk

See what you can learn from it :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Markdawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Markdawg

Dude, those were awesome examples! It helped a lot. I think I'm going to change a few things. The story for episode 1 is solid, I just need to find out how I want to explain it.

Return to Critique This!