Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Rotten Muffin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:24 am

Rotten Muffin

Subject title: Critique Random Portrait

Hey everyone! After a long, work related hiatus, I'm back. I felt like drawing so I looked for some random picture with a cool feel to it and drew it. This is the result. Thoughts?

Also, here is the reference. Although keep in mind that my intention was not to copy the shape or form of her, just the lighting. Even with references, I try to do original stuff, that's why its a different girl. http://www.sajou.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/luma-grothe-madame-figaro-10.jpg

Also, if you scour trough my last posts, you'll see that I was suffering a lot due to my monitor being really bad. I finally fixed it! It is so much better now! I can actually use dark colors now! I'm so happy!
sycra.jpg

Postby Markdawg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:32 am

Markdawg

Its nice. I like how the lighting came out. I just think the shading could be better blended. It also depends on what you were going for as well.

Postby Iksnerogib » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Iksnerogib

You're drawing too much attention to some secondary areas.
When you have highly detailed hair strands contrasting to your background, an even more detailed face is expected, or it will be downplayed by the hair.

Highly detailed face + not so much detailed hair = good
Highly detailed hair + not so much detailed face = bad

Her coat falls into this rule too.

About the color choices...
The shadow border(terminator), needs more saturation.
Face as a whole needs more color variation too(maybe more yellows, purples, etc).

You have a green that is "too green" in her eyes, and a red that is "too red" in her lips.

About the structure...
Neck is too long.

I did a "quick n' dirty" over paint.
Hope it helps.

Cheers. Happy holidays.

sycra.jpg
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby sanguine » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 pm

sanguine

Hey! Nice painting. I decided to do a quick paintover to give you some advice.

Sorry it's kind of messy. Anyway, I made some anatomy fixes, and I tried to create some hard edges to create interest and make her feel more 3D. I also added a saturated blue secondary light source to make the shadowed part a little more interesting. Also, since you have no issues straying from the reference, why not make the shadow a little more interesting, so that it shows some more facial features? Just an idea. Also Iksnerogib correctly pointed out that too much focus is being drawn to the wrong areas. For example, her sweater. I tried to show that you can describe a texture with fewer paint strokes so that it doesn't catch the viewer's eye. The same thing went for the wild hair. I hope this critique helped you!

Return to Critique This!