Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Urikedi1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Urikedi1

Subject title: need perspective, composition and mood critique

still wip, but i think that the picture lacks something and i'm not sure if the perspective is right
any thoughts?

Postby Audiazif » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Audiazif

It is mostly "warm" colors so it might be interesting to contrast them with some "cool" colors. Maybe make the cast shadows of the tall grass on the ground "cooler" (toward blue). Also for perspective things tend to be less saturated, less defined, and less "warm" as you move back in space (due to atmospheric perspective). You have the "less defined" part but making the bg less saturated and "cooler" could add to the depth, at the very least making it less saturated will help.

If it is unclear of what I mean by "warm" or "cool" this is a very simplified way of looking at it.
Spoiler: show
It is simplified because each color can shift to look warmer or cooler when it is used in context. For example you can have both a warm and cool blue in the same painting. Also as you move a color toward white it will tend to cause the color to go cooler and grays depending on context can look warm or cool, even if it is the same color.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Urikedi1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Urikedi1

thanks Audiazif!
i've made some progress:

Postby Fantelle » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Fantelle

wow, that looks heaps better ! what a lovely painting !!

if the lack of eyes isn't essential to ur piece though, i'd see if u could add some (maybe small, glowing circles or something). would add just that little bit of interest the piece needs ! i really do like it though

Postby Josephcow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Josephcow

The cloud in the background was a good idea because it frames his head. I would blur/soften it a bit to make it look further away.

The other route I was thinking you could go was to make his jacket lighter and the sky as it was. Right now you've got his head to separate from the background, but then if you squint we still lose the rest of him. Just another option to try maybe.

Return to Critique This!