Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 am

godsi

Subject title: Bedroom Painting

I have finally finished the bedroom I'd been painting for a while. This is my third time doing something like this and I'm still finding the best ways to go about it.
I would like a critique on how the person blends into the background, and also if the background looks natural or stiff.
If there are any other things anyone would like to add I would be happy to hear it.
I've attached the painting along with the reference.

Next time I will more thoroughly think out how I'll decorate the desk before painting it. I think many of the objects may look out of place or unnatural.
1.png
roomcap1.png

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:19 am

Bugpal Hopeday

I think all of the individual elements in your piece look great but a little bit more work is needed to make them cohere together into one scene. For example:

*Items on the desk can be given reflections like in ref and cast small shadows.
*You could make all the things look more like they're lit by the same light source, eg. the mug is fully lit even though it's obstructed by the monitor.
*A bit less pure white... Even white objects I'd usually reserve the brightest whites for highlights.
*Style consistency : I'd reduce the detail and block in the hair a bit more to be compatible with the style of the rest of the piece.

Overall good job on making such a polished piece, the time you put into it shows.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby godsi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:14 am

godsi

Bugpal Hopeday wrote:I think all of the individual elements in your piece look great but a little bit more work is needed to make them cohere together into one scene. For example:

*Items on the desk can be given reflections like in ref and cast small shadows.
*You could make all the things look more like they're lit by the same light source, eg. the mug is fully lit even though it's obstructed by the monitor.
*A bit less pure white... Even white objects I'd usually reserve the brightest whites for highlights.
*Style consistency : I'd reduce the detail and block in the hair a bit more to be compatible with the style of the rest of the piece.

Overall good job on making such a polished piece, the time you put into it shows.

Thank you for your response! I definitely agree that I should keep a consistent style, I now notice that half of the drawing is painted while the other half has line-art. Thank you for the tips.

Postby Fantelle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Fantelle

Hey! Your dedication is great, looks like this took you some time. I think the most essential thing you could improve for future pieces is lighting. When you start thinking
    about a lightsource, your image will really come together. I tried to do a paintover to correct that (how I did it is just one way, there are plenty), as well as some other
    things you could work on:

- Focus: Where is the focal point of your image? The composition suggests that the character should be the focus, but my eyes are most drawn to the photoshop
    menu as it's so incredibly detailed.
    - Color balance: I recommend doing photography studies to improve this. The concept is that colors in a scene are harmonic, because of the common lightsource.
    - Hue variation: Objects made out of one color (such as skin) still have lots of hue variation within that color. So within your brown skintone you should also see
    more blue browns, red browns, orange browns, etc. Depending on the lightsource again, which is why it is so important.

Image Image

Here are some resources that could help you:
    Foundations of Light and Shadow series by Sycra
    Understanding Color by Blender Guru
    Light and Color Atmosphere lesson by Istebrak

I hope it helps and I'd love to see you make a sketchbook here! :)

Postby godsi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:07 am

godsi

Fantelle wrote:
    Hey! Your dedication is great, looks like this took you some time. I think the most essential thing you could improve for future pieces is lighting. When you start thinking
    about a lightsource, your image will really come together. I tried to do a paintover to correct that (how I did it is just one way, there are plenty), as well as some other
    things you could work on:

- Focus: Where is the focal point of your image? The composition suggests that the character should be the focus, but my eyes are most drawn to the photoshop
    menu as it's so incredibly detailed.
    - Color balance: I recommend doing photography studies to improve this. The concept is that colors in a scene are harmonic, because of the common lightsource.
    - Hue variation: Objects made out of one color (such as skin) still have lots of hue variation within that color. So within your brown skintone you should also see
    more blue browns, red browns, orange browns, etc. Depending on the lightsource again, which is why it is so important.

Image Image

Here are some resources that could help you:
    Foundations of Light and Shadow series by Sycra
    Understanding Color by Blender Guru
    Light and Color Atmosphere lesson by Istebrak

I hope it helps and I'd love to see you make a sketchbook here! :)

Wow!! The paintover looks absolutely incredible! Thank you so much, and thank you for the links. I will absolutely look into them.
I have started on another room-painting and will definitely take these traits into priority when making them. I'll see into making a sketchbook, too. Thanks again!

Postby Fantelle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am

Fantelle

Glad I could help, lots of luck with your next one !!

Return to Critique This!