Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:32 pm

DarkLored123

Subject title: Values Critique Request [Cell Shaded]

Hello,

I've recently finished an illustration and tried to imitate a very intense light source and manga screen tones. Basically I am concerned with whether the values I've chose are proper or not, I don't really have much experience in applying them and do not actively practice them since I am more concerned with other fundamentals at the moment. I was aiming to create an intimidating atmosphere and making the character seem powerful by having a light source come from below, and so my question is if I had chosen good values and whether or not the shading was applied properly to the forms.

Character design sheet reference:

I'd appreciate if someone with actual experience in values handles this critique for obvious reasons.

Best regards,
DarkLored

Postby Audiazif » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Audiazif

You need to go darker with the values and add more contrast. Colors have inherent values so the uniform would need a darker local value than what you have. Also there is a difference in local value between the hair and the skin in the char sheet but you made them the same local value. Use the color picker to see for yourself, just look at the value. If the character is lit by an intense light source the contrast between light and dark will need to be more.

** Edit **
I made a quick edit to your image to show what I am talking about and to add to the crit. In addition to what I said above I also changed the bg value because there is no way you are going to have the values read the way you described on a white bg. A white bg leaves you with no room for the contrast needed to pull off the lighting.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:35 pm

DarkLored123

Audiazif wrote:You need to go darker with the values and add more contrast. Colors have inherent values so the uniform would need a darker local value than what you have. Also there is a difference in local value between the hair and the skin in the char sheet but you made them the same local value. Use the color picker to see for yourself, just look at the value. If the character is lit by an intense light source the contrast between light and dark will need to be more.

** Edit **
I made a quick edit to your image to show what I am talking about and to add to the crit. In addition to what I said above I also changed the bg value because there is no way you are going to have the values read the way you described on a white bg. A white bg leaves you with no room for the contrast needed to pull off the lighting.

Thanks, I am going to use your critique as reference for when I start working on the colored version of it. I'd like to ask some questions regarding the BG value, under what kind of conditions would you change the value of the background, and how would you know what value to set it?

Postby Audiazif » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Audiazif

DarkLored123 wrote:under what kind of conditions would you change the value of the background, and how would you know what value to set it?

The bg value in most situation is going to be determined by the lighting, subject matter, and "style". For lighting it is kind of like what I touched on in my crit. If your light is intense, then everything else is going to have to be darker and more contrasty and for a more subtle lighting your values are going to sift subtly. Subject matter also is a factor. If your subject is in a dark value range than the surroundings are going to be lighter. And if you have a subject that is light in value the bg and what is around the subject will be darker relative to the subject. Lastly, you have "style" (for lack of a better term) where you can throw everything out the window when it comes to values once you figure out how to control contrast through values and their relationships with one another. This is where you can technically make any value of bg work.

In short think about contrast. Think about how the the values relate to how you want things to look. Also think about the relationships between those values.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!