Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Erekem » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Erekem

Subject title: Need help with this wip

I am not very good at picking colors and i dont know where to start.A critique will help.I know the technique to do it ,but geting the right colors is the problem.
Untitled-1 - Copy.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Audiazif

Color is very hard thing to just say do this or do that. Picking "good" color and color in general is pretty much a personal thing. Really the only advice would be to use the color harmonies and experiment. Color harmonies are more of a guide than anything and you should not feel limited by them. You are in the perfect spot to just experiment. You are working in digital so you have nothing to lose. Try different color combinations and see what works. You won't know if [Color A] goes well with [Color B] unless physically put them together. Seeing colors in context with other colors is the only way you are going to learn color effectively.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Mandilor » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Mandilor

Not sure what you mean by "you know the technique to do it" as there are multiple ways to add color to a colorless image but here are some pointers to take into consideration.

You have a very dark image so pairing it with a color that works well at low values is a good idea. Red seems to be the best pick here, especially since you have some floating embers in the area and a bit of a under glow thing going on.

It should also be noted that saturated colors are darker in appearance then non saturated colors. This is most noticeable when looking at the top of a color picker as it goes from pure white to pure saturation but the same idea stays true at lower levels of value too. This makes adding color a bit tricky as you think you've already solved you values out with the gray scale painting but actually the values need to be readjusted again. As a good rule of thumb try not to go below 10% brightness and instead bump up the saturation to get those deep shadows. Of course if you just doing a black and white image then that might be required.

Ok so after you've got your main color picked from there you want to do two things. You want to watch your saturation and your hue variance. So if you're using a color layer or a gradient map or the like you have one base color which is going to be a uniform saturation. Pick out areas where you're going to wand to drop that saturation, like the cloak or staff/spear. You also probably want some hue variation. Now you can just pick one color and go with that; that will give you a very atmospheric look, very hazy. But you probably want at least some variation if not some full on different colors in there for some punch. It's up to you, you're the artist after all. Either way the best way to go about it is to compare it to the first main color and have all colors be subservient and supportive to the main color.

Lastly after doing all you layer adjustments or w/e you're doing to add color make sure to go back in and paint over everything to keep it looking sharp and tidy.

I did a quick paint over for you. I actually had to do it twice as I boneheadedly closed PS without saving. the second isn't as good as I rushed it but I hope it helps all the same. Feel free to ask any questions. I hope thats helped. Good luck and happy painting!

Postby Erekem » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Erekem

This is what i ended up with.
Its not really good.
with colordodge - Copy.jpg

Postby Oli » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Oli

Hey there :D

I am not sure about the light on her face... It looks as if it is coming from the bottom. But that does not fit with the reflections on the armor. I think that it will help you when you use a ref here to get that "right". Otherwise it is a cool painting!

Cheers
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Mandilor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Mandilor

Erekem wrote:This is what i ended up with.
Its not really good.
What do you mean by "it's not really good"? What are you not satisfied with? What do you wish was different?

Return to Critique This!