Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Urikedi1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Urikedi1

Subject title: what can I do better at this point?

I want to get the composition, anatomy and perspective right before i get down to the details.

Postby Audiazif » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:09 am

Audiazif

I think the compositions could be improved if you staggered your focuses. Not sure if they are the faces or the cups, leaning more towards the cups because of the color choice. If it is the cups or the faces they are both on the same level in relation to the others. Staggering them makes the eye move around the image instead of across. I would also look out for visual tangents. I know this is in a rough stage but I would recheck your ellipses on the cups, the one in the middle looks off to me. One last thing I would address is where you put your detail. Detail draws the eye and there is a lot in the bg and less in the figures, making my eye drawn to the bg.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 am

Bugpal Hopeday

I think it's overall a good composition and reads well. It suggests a story, I automatically started fleshing out the details. I like that the characters are looking at the viewer, I feel like I don't see so much in this kind of picture.

I think that the left guy's neck is rotated a little too far to be comfortable.

I do agree with the detail of the background being an unintentional focal point, maybe reducing contrast there and increasing in foreground would help.

I would consider adding more color dynamics somehow. Or alternatively, if your intention is for the muted colors to reflect the soldiers moods, maybe push that further and make it even more of a muted drab brown.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby Urikedi1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Urikedi1

Thanks for the advices!
I fixed the left guy's neck and the middle cup elipse, made the background darker and reduced it's contrast to bring the men forward.
However I'm still not sure if i should put the focal point on the faces (maybe just the middle soldier's face?) or the cups (as I primarly wanted).

Return to Critique This!