Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SlimRock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 am

SlimRock

Subject title: Special ops Dude ! Character Concept Crit

Special ops dude with a YoutTube speedpaint showing the crazy process for anyone interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOkffRbZOQ&t=25s
Crits and Comments are always welcome ;)

You can get the high rez image on my Artstation link : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P0Rbn
Special ops.jpg

Postby Alluffer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Alluffer

For the overall image I would tone down the dark on the background, it takes too much attention away from the character. Also the shadows are not really responding to the light environment.

There is mismatch in the design that is in my opinion making the concept look weird. The dude has a shiny gun (really cool btw!!) and some awesome high tech goggles, a leather cloth that gives a bit of a Chinese vibe and ALSO a scarf suitable for a dry and dusty environment... And all of these together left me really confused. I think less would be more in this situation and having a more specific theme would be useful. The dog is also adding to the mismatch; Now it looks kinda like a cute pet and nothing that would be useful in the battlefield.

Postby SlimRock » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 am

SlimRock

Thanks for the great Critiques Alluffer.
Much Appreciated. I was greatly influenced by Destiny, but I can def see some of the issues you pointed out. Art is a journey of improvement, and I'm still on mine ;)
Alluffer wrote:For the overall image I would tone down the dark on the background, it takes too much attention away from the character. Also the shadows are not really responding to the light environment.

There is mismatch in the design that is in my opinion making the concept look weird. The dude has a shiny gun (really cool btw!!) and some awesome high tech goggles, a leather cloth that gives a bit of a Chinese vibe and ALSO a scarf suitable for a dry and dusty environment... And all of these together left me really confused. I think less would be more in this situation and having a more specific theme would be useful. The dog is also adding to the mismatch; Now it looks kinda like a cute pet and nothing that would be useful in the battlefield.

Postby Alluffer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:57 am

Alluffer

SlimRock wrote:Thanks for the great Critiques Alluffer.
Much Appreciated. I was greatly influenced by Destiny, but I can def see some of the issues you pointed out. Art is a journey of improvement, and I'm still on mine ;)

Np! Keep up the good work! :D

Postby Alpacky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Alpacky

As I always tend to say on your stuff, its super well drawn, well painted ect, but it needs to be simlified.
Currently it looks like a mix of like 7 overwatch characters.
Widowmakers infra-sight glasses things, on soldier 76 who has a lot of robotic genji like parts and a mccree like (cape?) on his right shoulder, symmetras ear/head things, reaper legs and belt. On one half a big (nordic cloak/leg thing)

Its SUPER over designed. Fantastic none the less, but thats where it falls short IMO.
What do you want to say about this character? Its all over the place. Write down the character traits and backstory and keep it succinct.
Go off of those notes and then add your own style onto that.
Try decreibing characters and what they wear in a game like overwatch as ive used as an example heavily, and then your own. gotta go would say more and add more nice things but class is over lol.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Return to Critique This!