Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby fesknet » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:51 am

fesknet

Subject title: Portrait critique

Hi. Could some one give me some feed back on this pice i have done.
portrait_20171117_di01.jpg

Postby Mandilor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Mandilor

Well on the one hand over all your values are good. The thing is is that you're not taking into account the underlying forms that makes those values what they are. Admittedly its very hard to make out what the underlying forms are in that photo. For an example the way the brow ridge merges into the nose bridge and corner of the eye. You have a light shape that just goes straight from the end of the eyebrow down. That's not how that form works. I recommend doing value studies of sculptures. They have the same forms but because of the material difference its easier to pick out the plane changes and thus easier to understand the form.

Postby fesknet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:57 pm

fesknet

Thank you for the critique, I will try to rember it next time. :D

Postby Ayaake » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Ayaake

I will just say to push the some of the highlights more into the white for example in the photo the highlight on the tip of the nose is very white but in your piece it's quite subdued.You can push it up a few more values :)
It looks great though :)

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Bugpal Hopeday

Nice work!

With refs like this with low dynamic range, I find it's not a bad idea to go in every 15 minutes and increase the contrast of the photo in whatever program you're using just to get a feel for what subtle shadows you might not have noticed, then return to the original and they're more visible because you're looking for them.

But I'm with Mandilor that this is a tricky reference. I usually pick out photos with a fairly obvious light source and shadows to give myself a fighting chance :)

Also, emphasizing the hard edges (outside of hair, neck, nose's protruding bits and ear) would give it a realism boost.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Return to Critique This!