Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Sleepiestbun » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Sleepiestbun

Subject title: any crit pls

I'm p happy with this but i dont wanna get too comfy so if you have any crit or suggestions that would be great ty
feedsmol.png
my art blog! sleepyseaslug.tumblr.com

Postby Spider » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Spider

Oooh very very pretty colors
If I were you I would try to add more ripples in the water around her legs. And also the grass you've drawn is very wide and clumpy, it looks a little unnatural, that being said, you could definitely incorporate much more variety with your plant life, since there's just so much diversity with plants that grow near the water, I would definitely experiment with it a bit more. (btw lily pads have stems they don't just float on their own)
finally, the one fish, yellow and orange, by her hand doesn't have the same underwater look the rest of the fish do, makes it look like its floating out the water, not sure if you did this on purpose

overall, you should just experiment with environments more, definitely look up reference photos if you haven't already
you have a very good eye for color btw :D

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 am

Bugpal Hopeday

I like this a lot, it reminds me of Windwaker for no particular reason.

No crits about the figure but the background looks a little rushed.The grass is clumpy like Spider said, and the highlight makes it look solid, like a shark fin. Also you could use your lineart a bit more to convey the texture of the tree bark, and the rocks.

Overall very nice atmosphere.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby Crichquol » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:40 am

Crichquol

So, I have a couple comments:
I agree with Bugpal Hopeday, but I do so with some caution. Your trees can be mistaken for pink sand piles rolling into the water. However, the light pink, open space, and long lines of the trees complement the dark green, busy curves, and tightness of the green foliage next to them. It is very well balanced. If you develop the texture of the bark, you must do so with its impact on balance in mind.
Something that no one mentioned was the eyes of the woman. Even with the downward and turned angle, her eyes do not appear aligned. I'm afraid that if she were looking straight on, there would be a Sloth from Goonies effect. Then again, orbital asymmetry may be part of your style. I just don't know.

Postby Alpacky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Alpacky

My main issue, is that, the perspective changes as you get further back, but not in the correct direction for exaggeration... so it sorta makes this feeling of the background being more level with the character when if it were consistent perspective it would be towering over more which oils look good Imo.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Return to Critique This!