Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby KitKat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:32 pm

KitKat

Subject title: Critique my Vector Art/Design

This is my first attempt at making vector art. I need some thoughts on how it looks. As a consumer, would you be attracted to it? Does it tell a story to you?
Also, some critique on the perspective and other elements would be nice. Thank you! :D

vector image.png
I just noticed a mistake

vector image-2.0.png
version 2

Postby wannabe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm

wannabe

looks simple (in laconic simple way), like the colors
and i like the version 1 better
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.
(The more honestly the better)

Postby KitKat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm

KitKat

@wannabe
Thanks! I was aiming for the minimalist approach
Though the colours look a lot more vibrant on my phone :/

Postby SLOSK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 am

SLOSK

Looks cool! I think your perspective is a bit off. If building is supposed to behave like a cube then the lines should be converging towards a vanishing point at the bottom. I think its probably okay to have parallel lines and ignore perspective in vector graphics for the sake of simplicity or making more like icons. But you probably don't want to do the opposite as in the lines shouldn't pass beyond the point were they look like they are spreading out infinitely instead of converging. Notice how the edges of the windows don't really line up with where the edges of the building? . Maybe try drawing it as a cube in perspective and lay lines for where the windows and things will go with vanishing points. I also noticed that the vertical lines of the windows don't line up with one another.

All that being said it still looks really cool. I am curious though what program you are using for this? I notice you have some lines splotchy lines and things where the colour isn't filled in perfectly almost as if you painted it like in the bottom corner of the roof of the building. If you are using vectors you should be able to fill things in pretty precisely.

I LOVE the gradient you put on the grass in the first version. Maybe the first version without the tree or with the tree done differently would be favourite.

As for the design I really like the empty blue space at the top and the colour choice. I also like the way that you've done the windows and reused colours throughout the design.

vector image-2.0.png

Postby KitKat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 am

KitKat

@SLOSK
Thanks! :D I really struggled with the windows, thats what I get for not planning ahead. I'll try to get the perspective right next time. Thank you for the explanation. Didn't know that it converges downwards.

Also, I use Photoshop CS6, not the most ideal software to make vector art but I thought it was similar to Adobe Illustrator so I didnt bother downloading it.

Return to Critique This!