Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby santiagopainter » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:13 pm

santiagopainter

Subject title: please help critique my art

Hello all, I have been a major fan of Sycra for awhile. I haven't gotten back to my art for a long while, and so I need to regain my skills. I have several pieces of art that I would like to have critiqued. The first is this self portrait. I would like to gain enough mileage to get to the point to paint like Xi Ding art and EricAnthonyJ. All criticism, strong and harsh as it may be is appreciated.

linked below is my self caricature and I will upload some other pieces of art as well later on... thank you.
Untitled_Artwork.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:02 pm

Audiazif

From what I see, the two artists you mentioned know how to draw, they know how to paint, and they know how to take what they drew and make it a painting. So for starters, I think you would need to work on drawing. Your line quality is is a bit scratchy and wobbly. Also, not saying this is what you did, it seems to me like it was just traced from a photo. Sure, the artists you said use photo ref but they are not tracing or copying, or at least that is what I see in their vids. Next or in conjunction with drawing, you need to work on painting. This is easier said than done. Painting is a whole different way of thinking. Instead of lines delineating things it is shifts in value, color, and saturation. I would work on trying to remove lines and working on your edges. Things you learn in drawing may transfer over to painting and vice versa (not always one to one). The last thing would be to learn how to go from a drawing to a painting. Again, easier said than done. The only way to learn this is by doing. Be mindful of the fact that lines are short hand for many different things.

One other thing is I am not sure this is a "caricature". I would work on your exaggeration if caricature is what you were going for.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby santiagopainter » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 pm

santiagopainter

Hello, thank you for providing feedback on this piece, although it does looked traced, it is not. I did use a grid method to get as close as possible to the picture I took of myself. I will take into account your criticisms and will apply them to the best of my ability in my work.

Postby fi_le » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:28 pm

fi_le

HI there!

Just a little tip here, an easy way to improve line quality is to train yourself to move your whole arm when drawing, not just your wrist. It pretty much guarantees avoiding short, scratchy linework!
That said, you did really well, don't be discouraged by things like this. It looks quite pleasing already :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Critique This!