Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Acinaces1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 am

Acinaces1

Subject title: Trying to find my (comic based) style.

Hello, all - newly registered and eagerly seeking feedback/critiques. I've been trying to teach myself an art style based off of western comic artists, like Greg Capullo, Eddy Barrows and maybe even Emilio Laiso - something that's a balance between realism and animated. I've started doing a character portrait every day for 31 days to try and find/cement my overall style, but I know I need improving when I look at areas, and even posting and tagging up my socials, my feedback is slim to nil. So, here's a portrait of Leia Organa from a couple of days ago.

Seriously - feel free to be absolutely ruthless in areas to focus on. It's the only way I'll learn and improve.

Postby snowymoonman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:35 am

snowymoonman

Hey I'm not really on your level at all but right off the bat to me the eyebrow expression looks a little odd. That and also this gives me more of a Disney vibe rather than a traditional comic book/realism style. Also the forums have been super dead lately, I posted a painting of my own for critique a few weeks ago and haven't gotten anything at all, just a heads up.

Otherwise I actually like this drawing, it's oddly enough sort of the style I'm going for myself.

Postby Acinaces1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:06 am

Acinaces1

snowymoonman wrote:Hey I'm not really on your level at all but right off the bat to me the eyebrow expression looks a little odd. That and also this gives me more of a Disney vibe rather than a traditional comic book/realism style. Also the forums have been super dead lately, I posted a painting of my own for critique a few weeks ago and haven't gotten anything at all, just a heads up.

Otherwise I actually like this drawing, it's oddly enough sort of the style I'm going for myself.

Ah, really? That's a damned shame about the forum - I've always heard it was "the place" for feedback and critique. Any idea where else to seek enlightenment? (I already post to Insta, Twitter, dA and Tumblr.)

Looking back at it, I definitely blame the eye size for Disney vibe - the mouth is something I'm not spectacularly happy about either, but still. I have an issue where I draw them too small in my rough sketch and then overcompensate, i think.

Postby snowymoonman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 am

snowymoonman

Acinaces1 wrote:
snowymoonman wrote:Hey I'm not really on your level at all but right off the bat to me the eyebrow expression looks a little odd. That and also this gives me more of a Disney vibe rather than a traditional comic book/realism style. Also the forums have been super dead lately, I posted a painting of my own for critique a few weeks ago and haven't gotten anything at all, just a heads up.

Ah, really? That's a damned shame about the forum - I've always heard it was "the place" for feedback and critique. Any idea where else to seek enlightenment? (I already post to Insta, Twitter, dA and Tumblr.)

Looking back at it, I definitely blame the eye size for Disney vibe - the mouth is something I'm not spectacularly happy about either, but still. I have an issue where I draw them too small in my rough sketch and then overcompensate, i think.

I found some decent critiques over on reddit, r/learnart has a pretty active community

Postby fi_le » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:15 pm

fi_le

Heyheyheyhey, this place isn't done....... yet!

Or so I hope, anyways. New social media tends to be a bit cold and quick for my taste. Would be a shame to see this fade away.

Edit: Removed redundant parts :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby CaptainKiryu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:30 am

CaptainKiryu

I think if you want your portraits to feel lively you should imagine what the character is looking at, feeling, reacting to. The proportions and technical things come with time and repetition. Since you express interest in a mostly realistically proportioned but simplified style I'd recommend using real life reference. photos of people, or even a hand mirror
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Critique This!