Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Polymath » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Polymath

Subject title: Acceptable Ingame-"Graphic" or not?

Is this "Graphic" acceptable for a game?
Would it bother you? Would you play it or be turned off by the "Graphic"?
How would you improve it, if so?

btw.: is the forum dead? didnt see a lot of activity lately...

castleRoof_V2_small.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 am

Josephcow

What do you mean by the graphic? The text box at the top? And yeah unfortunately the forum is kinda dead. I think Sycra's videos were what kept the forum going, but he hasn't uploaded in ages. I miss when there were like 10 new posts in critique section a day. People are still updating sketchbooks though.

Postby Polymath » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 am

Polymath

Josephcow wrote:What do you mean by the graphic?

Or "graphics"? I mean all the visuals. You know, everything a "graphics card" on your computer has to make. :idea: :?
just how the whole game looks.

Postby Josephcow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 pm

Josephcow

Ah, well you do have to realize that even if the story is really good, the appearance of the game is really important. I can see in your sketchbook you designed more realistic proportioned characters before simplifying them into these kind of south park-esque little guys. Any reason you decided to go with this style of person?

I think that if you're going to go with a really simplified character it has to be consistently designed. You might not want to have a large outlined nose on a head that is a circle. As the head shape gets more simplified, the facial features should follow suit. For example the South Park characters just have a line for a nose, or no nose (usually).

Postby svarn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:35 pm

svarn

Whether it'd bother me or not heavily depends on the gameplay and what kind of game is it.
If it's a browser game then it's totaly fine. But if it's commercial or maybe even a free game on steam then it's suddenly a whole different topic.
But if the gameplay is really good then it might even be ASCI game and people will like it.

In terms of what you have. I think the characters are actually pretty cute. The noses defintely jumped out at me at first. They make the characters look kind of funny, which might be a good thing depending on what you want to do with the game.
Now the background I like much less to be honest. I think you could get a lot more out of it with some gradients and shadows.
Lastly the GUI and the font is what I feel makes the game look more archaic then any other element.

I don't know what can you do due to technical constrains, neither am I a game or gui designer but I think that this would be a step in the right direction. The paintover is very rought, but I hope it gives you some idea.

I'd recommend looking up actual GUI design and just see what other people are doing.

Postby Polymath » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:10 am

Polymath

Wow, that looks really cool! It looks like on the stage of a theater...
I have to look into that, looks like it it could be improved aaaa looooot. :geek:

Maybe I can even make it appear as if it is playing inside an opened history-book...

Postby fi_le » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 pm

fi_le

The inside a history book idea sounds superb!

My first idea was to make things a little simpler, but svarn's paintover completely blew that outta the water. Hmm, GUI should be fairly easy, too... can you do live colour grading in your program? You know, making it bloom!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Polymath » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 am

Polymath

fi_le wrote:can you do live colour grading in your program? You know, making it bloom!

Can you show an example?

Postby fi_le » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:35 pm

fi_le

Sure, sure. In editing, colour grading is one of the easiest tricks to give life to an image. There are probably tons of tutorials for amateur filmakers and photographers, so I could show you some of those...

In principle pretty common, but probably too advanced for a pre-alpha situation. You did ask, so here I go anyways. Listen to svarn and work on the GUI, I suppose.

(A little article about colors in Uncharted 4
Unity color grading)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Critique This!