Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby samsara2502 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 am

samsara2502

Subject title: Painting Critique

Ive been drawing for a long time now but have only quite recently gotten into the aspect of painting, ive at the stage where i have done about 15 total digital paintings all up and can already see a bit of improvement but naturally there are still several things that are severely lacking. I know as Sycra says its better to get more mileage under your belt before even worrying about critiques but any tips or pointers that anyone may have would be awesome, Thank you :DD

[url][/url] https://www.deviantart.com/samsara2502/ ... -809597759

Postby fi_le » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 am

fi_le

Hi Samsara!

Alright, ambitious painting and a fairly good job, too. I hope you know that you should be working on drawing fundamentals instead of fancy fire rendering, but you know, a little bit of fun now and again won't hurt either. Just make sure you're not stopping to work on that foundation!

I think one of the main issues is the lack of visual clarity. The sparks draw one's eye away from the main focus (the face and the burning rim of her top, presumably?), so I'd advise to make 'em get less poppy at the edges.
Same goes for the lighting. If the room is just all flames what you get is something resembling strong ambient light, because there isn't one single light source. As you have it, every little muscle kinda decided to catch light from a different flame. Maybe I'm reading this wrong and she's glowing beneath her skin?

OK, also for practice reasons, please don't put the hand off-frame that conveniently. I mean, it also looks a bit awkward for the end result, but the main reason is that you want to challenge yourself with those kinds of things. I'm guilty of doing this as well, I feel ya.

Next thing would be the arm anatomy. I'm super bad at doing foreshadowing, so I all I can do for now is give you a reference image.

Good luck and have fun, mate.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Critique This!