Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ehlihr » Sat May 25, 2019 5:05 am

ehlihr

Subject title: general painting advice!

did this painting today, and not really looking to add to it but want some general advice going forward. its acrylic on cotton if that helps! im entering my first year of illustration next year so just aome pointers. pretty new to painting still. sank u!!

also its a limited palette with the following:
-pthalo blue
-titanium white
-burnt umber
-cadmium red
D60B584A-8220-41B1-A16C-E51B2D6DD8D8.jpeg
18 year old mostly self taught loser. sheridan illustration 2023

Sketchbook
Website
Instagram

Postby Audiazif » Thu May 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Audiazif

With a limited palette it is easier to understand the full range of colors and values you can get because you have only so many combinations of colors. This painting feels more along the lines of a monochromatic with an accent color. You are missing the full range of colors and values in this painting. If this was intentional then that is fine, if not then I would maybe keep this in mind. James Gurney has a few great videos on limited palettes (this is one that I found that is sort of similar to your situation). He also has a video on Gamut mapping that might be helpful and Proko has this video that also expands and demos this at work on a warm-cool limited palette.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby ehlihr » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:14 am

ehlihr

Audiazif wrote:With a limited palette it is easier to understand the full range of colors and values you can get because you have only so many combinations of colors. This painting feels more along the lines of a monochromatic with an accent color. You are missing the full range of colors and values in this painting. If this was intentional then that is fine, if not then I would maybe keep this in mind. James Gurney has a few great videos on limited palettes (this is one that I found that is sort of similar to your situation). He also has a video on Gamut mapping that might be helpful and Proko has this video that also expands and demos this at work on a warm-cool limited palette.

oh that's actually really interesting! I wasn't sure if it counted as monochromatic (though I will say other than the accent in the face and the background there is no red) since I didn't use black but burnt umber. I do have some limited experience with the Zorn palette, but am struggling not to make a red-blue-white not look muddy in paint. I'll def give those links a look!
18 year old mostly self taught loser. sheridan illustration 2023

Sketchbook
Website
Instagram

Return to Critique This!