Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby LaloDraws » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 am

LaloDraws

Subject title: Portrait Painting

I am starting out on digital painting and my first duty its to make a good portrait so... i need some tips i dont know what kind of brushes to use and how much to limit my color values. I have knowledge about the ellipeses of the face but when i am painting its a bit dificult to get it right and i dont know how to render correctly but i wanted to know how are this two firsts attempts and what can i do better. The first one i made it with a hard brush and like a caricature style, the second one i did it with a reference photo, i tried to do it a bit more realistic and i used kinda a dry brush not sure lol. Also if u know a good youtube video that explains something that i need to know send it pls. :D :geek:
Testing.jpg
Study1.jpg

Postby fi_le » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:04 am

fi_le

Alrighty, hi Lalo!
You've picked a tremendously difficult topic for your first attempt, I'd start with something easier. This could be a good starting point to look back on, so there's that. To your question:

LaloDraws wrote:i need some tips i dont know what kind of brushes to use

I can surely tell you that you're making the same mistakes as I did and sometimes even do. No textured brushes ever! It's way to confusing to use anything remotely that complicated, try sticking to simple tools. Here's a good video by the master himself - Sinix.

LaloDraws wrote:how much to limit my color values. I have knowledge about the ellipeses of the face but when i am painting its a bit dificult to get it right and i dont know how to render correctly but i wanted to know how are this two firsts attempts and what can i do better.

I really don't know what you mean by most of this (puntuation wouldn't have done harm), but what I can read out of this is that you want to study and improve. Awesome! Don't focus on rendering at all and get an understanding of the forms you're trying to describe with your drawings and paintings.
Have fun!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Audiazif » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Audiazif

I agree that portraits are ambitious first paintings. I would second starting simpler at the very least look for references that have simpler, more defined lighting.

I would try to learn to do things with a basic brush. This will help you understand what you are doing better. It eliminates factors that pertain to the brush. Learning to do things with basic brushes will help make you control the brush rather than the brush control you, if that makes any sense. Once you have a grasp of controlling the brush than you might want to start experimenting with other brushes.

I am also a bit confused as to what you are asking about values. Without more info I would just recommend you do a lot more of these. Once you have a good amount of studies/pieces then you might be able to see some common mistakes that you might want to address. It is not good to judge your first attempts at anything unless you are judging it against your more recent attempts.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!