Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Phantost » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 am

Phantost

Subject title: Hair help? (Slight gore warning)

Full Sized

I've been trying to figure out how to actually paint hair recently, and while this is the closest I've come to liking how its turned out, I still feel like theres a lot that I could improve on.
Although I'd also be happy to receive any other critiques, not just for hair!

Also heres some more pics I've done recently just to give you an idea of what I've been doing?
XXX
XXX
XXX

Postby Phantost » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:54 am

Phantost

hooough this may be the worst hair I've done in a long time curly hair is way harder and I know even LESS of how to draw it

Postby Azy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Azy

I think you actually did a pretty good job with the curly hair. I'm seeing a lot of problems besides that though in your second image. You've drawn the head in pretty much a 3/4th view, but all the features excluding the ear are all drawn from a front facing perspective. You should be able to see this if you just stare at the tip of the nose. Also I can see what you're going for with the lighting around the shirt and hair, but the way you executed it kind of contrasts with the rest of the painted image. They come to close to just straight lines. I can't suggest any specific help for this as I'm not much of a painter myself, but you could probably do some research on lighting in painting and such. Hope this helps.

Postby Phantost » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:43 am

Phantost

aa Thank you very much! I can definitely see what you mean about the 3/4ths view vs the front facing one now that you've pointed it out!.

I'm not sure what you mean by how the lighting on the hair/shirt contrasts with the rest though? by straight lines do you mean like my stroke shape is whats throwing that off?

Postby svarn » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm

svarn

First and foremost google actual hairstyles untill you have a solid library in your head that you can pull from. And use them as reference.
Curly hair is actually pretty difficult to do, but in general you want to keep in mind "where are these hair growing from" ? In your version you have this big reverse S shape going across the whole head. And if you think about it, it's really hard to make sense of where it could be growing from.

When it comes to rendering hair, there are multiple approaches. Personally I'm lazy so I try to capture the general feeling of the hair with shapes and values. And on the other side you have painters that create hair texture with thousends of tiny brush strokes (kind of what you were doing with the first one, but much finer). I'd suggest taking a really good look at what your faviourite artists are doing, and maybe do a study or two.

Hope this helps a little.

Postby Phantost » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Phantost

I've definitely been doing a lot of looking at hair references and watching speedpaints to try and find out how other people do it, it just seems like its not sinking in I guess?
I'm gonna try and do some more photo hair studies though I think and hopefully that may help! I really appreciate your help a lot!

Return to Critique This!