Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby MassiveApe » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 pm

MassiveApe

Subject title: Fanart critique

This is my fan art of bowsette. I did everything I could with this painting but somehow I don't feel completely happy with the finished piece. Feel free to critique and I'd appreciate it if you don't hold back.
bowsette color popsb.jpg

Postby fi_le » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:27 am

fi_le

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The most problematic part in this one is by far the skin rendering and the anatomy. If you look at her base skin color and the shaded areas, you'll notice that them are only darker in value, but not warmer. This is really crucial - saturate skin shadows, always. Also, please keep the value shifts as subtle as possible, the more you bring out the edges, the more creasy it looks.

Then just really briefly: Breasts aren't balloons, you can either turn it down to a healthy size or make them sag and then push them back up.

Other than that, good thing you're putting something out there! Keep going and have a nice day.

Postby MassiveApe » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am

MassiveApe

I Appreciate the critique fi_le.Those large breasts are hard to miss. I've been seeing a lot of bowsette fanart and I thought maybe those big breasts were one of her defining characteristics. Mind you I don't usually paint or draw big breasts and this one was awkward to do because I prefer big hips 8-) . Anyways, I knew there was something off with the colors but wasn't sure what it is. Color is still somewhat a struggle for me so I keep on experimenting and most of the time I'm just winging it when I do colors which I actually hated. I wanted more control in that particular area.
Now thinking about it I didn't really like how the skin came out. I was trying to make it pop with cooler shadows and mixed in some violets and purples in the dark areas because initially I started with red orange monochromatic values and picked colors which are just 50% in saturation. But it didn't turn out as what I'd hoped it would be. And I'll try softening some edges and making the shadows more saturated. You're insights are much appreciated.

Postby MassiveApe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:49 pm

MassiveApe

I made some changes in the piece. I made the skin more saturated. I tweaked the chest part by lifting the breasts and reducing it's size a bit. I softened the skin tone on the breast area and made the value lighter. I also softened the edges that connect the the breast to the chest area because in the previous post the chest looks like it caved in. I removed the dark shadow on the chest's outer edges connecting to the shoulder and made the value much lighter almost matching the shoulder. I also adjusted the color balance and desaturated some areas. I tweaked the highlights and made it brighter. I think it looks much better than before. Thank you fi_le for the critique helped a lot.
bowsette color popsdb.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 pm

perkexpert

Your second try it better, good improvement. Your piece suffers mostly from bad lighting. You actually rendered a kind of ambient occlusion pass, a kind of back and front lighting and some weird rim lighting. I suggest you
a) Do a proper ambient occlusion pass
b) chose a lighting scheme (direction, color, setup light single or multiple)
c) render the lighting consistently.

A basic setup could be a warm frontal light source and a cool backlighting
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby ang3l » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:44 pm

ang3l

Before you fix the lighting, the initial sketch and anatomy needs fixing
- the hand on the right looks stiff, the pinky looks like a thumb. Is it meant to be clawing at the viewer? If so, use foreshortening and bring the hand forward. If you're redrawing it, think about all the fingers not as individual 'limbs' but more as a group that flows together. Take reference from your own hand.
- The position looks a little bit posed. The two arms at the same height generally looks unnatural.To fix, the shoulders could be more relaxed and the arms and hands less stiff.
- The arms are rendered to look like cylinders when, in fact, arms are more flat (more of a rectangle shape rather than a tube). You could fix this by, when rendering the arm, think of it as an actual limb rather than a tube.
- The skin could use some different tones in it, right now it's a bit plain.
- The overuse of backlighting is a bit of a problem but I wouldn't worry about it, I'd probably work on anatomy.
:ugeek: :)

Postby perkexpert » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:02 pm

perkexpert

Here's an idea how you might go with some of the ideas pointed out...
Critique.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby ang3l » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:08 am

ang3l

what is this i m

Postby MassiveApe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:59 am

MassiveApe

So heres an update on this piece. I try to follow the points that were pointed out as much as I can. Thank you ang3l for pointing out the anatomy issue. Now that I've noticed it, the clawing hand is a bit off. The fingers look like thumbs so I tweaked the other four fingers into three segments to make it look natural. Also changed the position of the finger on the other hand to point towards the clawing hand. As for the forearms, I lightened the dark shadow facingoutwards and matched it with the midtone. I also removed the highlight at the middle of the forearm and match it with the midtones making the arm look less like a cylinder. I also lowered the right shoulder a bit. I just want to let you guys no that I wanted to paint the subject as if we are seeing her on a tilted camera. And she is posing for a picture.
Thank you perkexpert for pointing out the issues on lighting. Lighting and color is still a struggle for me because I am still trying to learn how lighting works and most of the time I'm just winging it. With a bit of practice I might be able to apply the principles of lighting and color properly. So I followed your points on lighting (thanks for the paintover btw, really appreciated that) I'm still not familiar with ambient occlusion so here's what I did. I let some of the background color seep on the clothing. I also added some bright lights on the background. I'm a sucker for rim lighting but i didn't add anymore rim lighting. But I did add a bit more saturated yellows on her hair particularly on her bangs.
I appreciate all your feedback and what a great help it is. :D
new bowsette.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Audiazif

Just a few things I noticed that have not been addressed.

In a typical female torso the thinnest part of the "hourglass" shape is half way between top of shoulders and bottom of the crotch. In your painting I think that point is too low. The other thing is that clothing wraps around the form. The way the clothing is painted around the breasts is making the breasts seem flat. It doesn't wrap around the form.

The last thing I think that is worth mentioning is to avoid visual tangents. This may seem like not that big of a deal but it make a world of difference.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby MassiveApe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:26 am

MassiveApe

Whoa! Thanks Audiazif, I wasn't able to notice that until now. Although I envisioned the crotch to be a little below the clothing on her waist. I made the ribcage a tad bit longer when I put the thinnest part of the torso nearer to the crotch.

I had to literaly search what visual tangent is because I don't have an idea what that is. Now I know. Will be on the look out for these in future work. Thanks.

Postby tlst9999 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 am

tlst9999

A simple solution would be to make a quick 2 minute flat black and white equivalent.

From this, her hand is interfering with the hair flow. It'd be better to place her hand under her hair. Do anything. Just don't interfere with the hair flow.

Postby Gryephon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:16 am

Gryephon

Do you mind adding bleeding wounds around the neck and shoulder Those pointy things on the wrist and neck look like they would hurt.

It adds realism. :D
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby CaptainKiryu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 am

CaptainKiryu

Are you unhappy with the drawing or the rendering? I think if its the drawing you don't like, than you'd probably just have to start over and do another piece---and even then, I'm not sure what your goals in a drawing are (energy, coolness, realism, etc). If it's more about the rendering I would suggest you look at an artist who's painting you really like. Sometimes paintings look unsatisfactory to us when we lack the level of finish we see in paintings by others that we do like. It could be as close as adding some small, but precise, bright highlights to the right places or similarly, some really dark occlusion shadows.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Critique This!