Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Cucumbre » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Cucumbre

Subject title: Rendering materials & understanding form

I drew my friend’s character and decided to render it, but I ran into a lot of trouble with forms and materials. She’s supposed to have ringlets, and I decided to draw her in a denim skirt but HOO BOY am I lost af. Any help would be appreciated!
B4BA14BA-79E1-4F38-BB2A-1B75239FE59F.png

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:05 am

Ambiguity

Yeah that's a bit hard, especially with such a cartoony style(unless youre willing to go for a realistic render, a la pixar). I think if you're ok with that faux faded denim look, you can get something that reads as denim well enough with a little suggested texture/pattern on the thighs. As for rendering the ringlets, I think you had the right idea with the bangs, you just need to do those type of shapes around the cylinders, and it's probably also help to get even shinier with it by playing up the core shadow of the hair "ribbons". As for rendering in general, not much I can help you with there, you just gotta know the basic rules like "your darkest light is never as dark as your brightest shadow"; or that shadow is always on the opposite side of the light because it is the absence of light, so you need to know your light direction; or form shadows are generally softer than cast shadows. I think that's all stuff you've heard, you just gotta get in the habit of constantly thinking about it while painting.

Postby Cucumbre » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 am

Cucumbre

Thank you very much! I love what you changed about her shirt. Thank you much for the advice!

Return to Critique This!